-----Original Message-----
Karen Coyle wrote:

And your definition of "person" will determine what these relevant data
elements are, and what you can do with this data.  If you your persons
are bibliographic entities then they can't interact with data about
"real" persons (LDAP databases, the copyright renewal database, the
social security death index,.... etc.) unless somewhere a clear
connection is made between the bibliographic and the non-bibliographic
identities. This is why I am concerned about limiting ourselves just to
name forms - it limits what we can do with our data.

Perhaps Person is the wrong term for this entity and the name should
reflect its nature as a bibliographic concept.

Then again, we still have to deal with the "actual person as subject"
case. People do write biographies about the real people behind the
bibliographic identities. I don't think this is the same entity as the
bibliographic "persona" yet we are using the same entity for both. This
is probably where my dis-ease comes in.
-------------------------

[Myers]:  I guess I am relying on FRAD to identify the attributes of the
person entity and RDA to spell them out as data elements.  Further, I
think that Chapter 30 of the December 2007 RDA draft would address
concerns about the relationship between the bibliographic and
non-bibliographic entities.  The scope note at 30.1.0.1.2 says, "Related
persons include separate identities for the same individual."  So there
would be entity records, for instance, for both Lewis Carroll and
Charles L. Dodgson, with a relationship between the entity represented
by the pseudonym and the entity represented by the legal name.

As we transition from a cataloging environment and cataloging rules that
were primarily focused on heading construction to this new
entity-relationship model and supporting code, there does seem to be a
focus on "name forms" in the rules, and an inelegant one at that, if I
may be so bold.  However, there are other important attributes that are
now being addressed formally, in terms of the record content, for the
first time.  There have been discussions, much better expressed than I
can convey here, as to whether the heading/name form is properly an
attribute of the entity or just a (possibly) unique agglomeration of
selected attributes.  It is my hope that the JSC will provide both for
some clarifying revisions to Chapter 9 and resolving the place of the
identifying heading within the entity record framework.

Fervently hoping we are not talking to cross purposes,

John F. Myers, Catalog Librarian
Schaffer Library, Union College
807 Union St.
Schenectady NY 12308