-----Original Message-----
From: John Attig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: RDA-L@INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 13:39:07 -0400
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] The Person entity [was: Comments from Martha M. Yee ... 1
of 2]

> However, I would note that in 99.9% of the cases, the bibliographic
> identity and the biological person are identical.  I would hate to
> torture the model in order to deal with that 0.1% that raise
> problems.  Perhaps what we need is an element (data about data) that
> signals when the entity represents only the bibliographic identity
> and should therefore not be assumed to map to person entities in
> other data sources.

I am not so sure that only 0.1% cases are problematic in libraryland.

a) IMHO several authors creating a work form a bibliographic identity [BI]:

Many will agree that Ellery Queen is a BI. If so, Ilf and Petrov form a BI too
(even if they use 2 names). If so, The Cohen Brothers form a BI. If so,
Nicolas Bourbaki ... If so, Rolling Stones form a BI ?

When we start to call them 'corporate bodies' ? If 3 persons or more ? :-)

b) IMHO, a person not speaking/writing (exactlly) for herself/himself forms a
BI. E.g.

Bill Clinton as Governor of Arkansas;
Bill Clinton as Democrat presidential candidate;
Bill Clinton as President of US.

However (as a computer person) I do not see big difficulties to handle such
complex BIs in practical bibliographic data models.

>          John

Dan Matei

Dan Matei, director
CIMEC - Institutul de Memorie Culturala [Institute for Cultural Memory]
Piata Presei Libere nr. 1, CP 33-90
013701 Bucuresti [Bucharest], Romania
tel. (+40-21) 317 90 72; fax (+40-21) 317 90 64
www.cimec.ro