Melodie Frances asked:

>>Can anyone explain WHY it's so hard to get info from MARC?

We need not expose MARC to anyone who doesn't want/like/understand it.
What we need are good services and tools that can access MARC but send
out flavors of DC in XML or whatever just as well as plain old ISBD.
For the near future, there's no need to change anything much inside
ILSs provided they have such tools, responding to OpenURL logic or the
likes, as many of them do. Only, as was said before, the non-library
world, including Google, has not agreed on anything yet nor do they
understand the need, and *that*'s the trouble, not MARC.