From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:rd...@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of McGrath, Kelley C.
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 8:37 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Systems v Cataloging was: RDA and granularity

I think perhaps this makes more sense if you understand that what is
meant by "machine readable" is more like "machine interpretable" or
"machine comprehensible." Certainly, machines can read and index a MARC
record in an ILS, but the information that is encoded in a way that a
machine can take action on it easily and reliably is a much smaller
proportion of what's in a MARC record.

Kelley McGrath
Ball State University
kmcgr...@bsu.edu