Bernhard Eversberg wrote:

<snip>
About any particular book, there can be many "statements" out in the
open world of the Web. Provided there is a stable, reliable, unique,
universally used identifier, going with every suchj statement, you're
very nearly there. The ISBN and ISSN are not quite that good, but the
best we have, and they do already play the part of that identifier
in many practical scenarios.
</snip>

There is now the International Standard Text Code (ISTC)
http://www.istc-international.org/ that could go some way to solving this
problem. I would personally like to see some real world examples of this, since
it states:

"Each ISTC is a unique "number" assigned by a centralised registration system
to a textual work, when a unique set of information about that work, known as a
"metadata record", is entered into the system. If another, identical metadata
record has already been registered (perhaps, in the case of an out of copyright
work, by another publisher), the system will assume the new ISTC request refers
to the same work and will output the ISTC of the identical (or nearly
identical) metadata record already held on the system.
The ISTC is not intended for identifying manifestations of a textual work,
including any physical products (e.g. a printed article) or electronic formats
(e.g. an electronic book). Manifestations of textual works are the subject of
separate identification systems."

I have a feeling that when they say "work" they mean something more like (in
FRBR-speak) "expression" since I doubt there is much use in the world for a
unique number for the entirety of Homer's Odyssey (except strictly for
librarians) and they are thinking of specific translations or other versions of
the Odyssey. Still, I may be wrong since the whole ISTC is confusing for me in
the abstract and I would like to see something practical. In any case, it does
seem as if people are addressing your concerns, and it's even an ISO standard.

Concerning the "recordless" view, I see it as more moving away from the unit
card, or the catalog card view (which we have today in our OPACs) and toward a
type of a mashup: a dynamic view of various aspects of a resource with
information drawn from a variety of sources: your own database, perhaps Amazon,
H-Net, LibraryThing, perhaps you have a local Moodle implementation that people
use to include information, and each user can customize the view to add or take
away what he or she wants. An ISTC could go a long way in providing this type
of display.

Whether this is what people really want remains to be seen!

James Weinheimer  j.weinhei...@aur.edu
Director of Library and Information Services
The American University of Rome
via Pietro Roselli, 4
00153 Rome, Italy
voice- 011 39 06 58330919 ext. 258