Weinheimer Jim wrote:

I have a feeling that when they say "work" they mean something more like (in FRBR-speak)
"expression" since I doubt there is much use in the world for a unique number for the
entirety of Homer's Odyssey (except strictly for librarians) and they are thinking of specific
translations or other versions of the Odyssey. Still, I may be wrong since the whole ISTC is
confusing for me in the abstract and I would like to see something practical. In any case, it does
seem as if people are addressing your concerns, and it's even an ISO standard.

There's the rub. As soon as we leave the level of the physical object,
it is essential that all parties agree on what they are talking about.
Statements made elsewhere may not, I'm afraid, all be referring to FRBR
entities. We might end up with mashups in the sense of hotchpotch.

B.Eversberg