Mac Elrod said:

> Kevin said:
>
> >The choice of elements to be included in an authority record are entirely
up
> >to the policy of the agency creating the record.
>
> Obviously standardization or consistency is no longer considered of value.

RDA presents a standard for what the elements *are*.  Users of the standard
choose which elements *to apply*.  I am totally confident that the PCC,
should it decide to implement RDA, will have a policy stating which elements
are essential in NACO recorsd.  I am also hopeful that they will also have a
policy stating which elements are inappropriate for NACO purposes and thus
should not be used.  I have a very strong hunch that PCC use of RDA would be
no less "standardized and consistent" than its use of AACR2.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Bibliographic Services Dept.
Northwestern University Library