Please ignore my last message, the meaning of which must remain tantalizingly
obscure. The consequence of having too many open messages on my desktop at once
and unwittingly replying to the wrong one.

-----Original Message-----
From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Diane I. Hillmann
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 12:50 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Authority records per RDA for persons

  I participated in a discussion last week where the issues of email
privacy (in particular, but other personal info was implied) came
up--the discussion was about author profiles, not that far from name
authorities.  I think this is an issue that we do need to think
about--and the notion about how far to look and what to be sensitive
about is important for our credibility. The world we will be operating
in as the future unfolds will be much more open than we're accustomed
to, so these issues will have a different context. But, all email is not
personal (some bookjackets have email addresses set up by publishers for
particular authors, and we don't assume that those addresses are
'personal', for instance), and when it appears in an obviously public
context, using seems safe enough.

Another point to consider is that the privacy issues are quite different
in Europe than they are in North America, so our practices need to
reflect a broader context.

Diane