>James Weinheimer wrote:  "Of course, no library is going to advertise
>something like that..."

Libraries do advertise their practices every time they enter metadata into a
shared database.  My original email was intended to communicate that what we
have seen so far contradicts your concern that catalogers will not, for the
most part, go beyond the minimum for transcribing/tracing creators.  The reason
we took personal and institutional responsibility to be part of the test was
specifically to move beyond sweeping hypotheticals, or fears of the potentially
nefarious, and instead inform our opinions by applying the standard, building a
base of evidence, and contributing constructive feedback to make the content
standard better.  Call it a crazy vested interest!  My response was intended to
offer what we have learned so far through that process of directly creating or
triaging upwards of 7,000 RDA bibliographic records (I haven't even counted the
authority records).  If one chooses to discount this real-life experience in
favor of a hypothetical, I suppose that's one's prerogative.

>"they shouldn't be allowed to muck everything up for everybody"

We'll have to chalk this up to different philosophical standpoints, I guess.  I
don't consider a brief/minimal record "muck" unless it's factually wrong, or
coded incorrectly.  I see it as an opportunity -- an opportunity to take what
one institution felt met its needs or abilities or budget and make it more
robust, and contribute that work to the collaborative for use and re-use.  I
have no expectation that RDA, Dublin Core, EAD, DACS, TEI, FGDC, MARC, or any
other content or encoding standard will ever result in a single iteration of a
universally-perfect record that meets 100% of the needs of 100% of the
population.  If that utopian vision were attainable, the only people we would
need to employ are original catalogers.  All copy catalogers would be
unnecessary because all available copy would be universally perfect, right?  If
that's what you thought RDA was trying to accomplish, or should accomplish,
then you're absolutely correct -- you shouldn't implement it, it won't get you
there.

>"RDA has determined that a single author is good enough."

No it hasn't.  It has defined a floor, and given the cataloging agency the
power and flexibility to define "good enough" for itself beyond that floor.

>"I wonder what the faculty would say about the single author rule where that
>co-authors can legitimately be left out, along with authors and other
>contributors?  I doubt if they would like it very much at all."

Exactly, couldn't agree more.  And that's precisely why we have CHOSEN not to
apply the minimum at OUR institution for the vast majority of what we do.
Eight months and seven thousand records later, I can say with some confidence
that RDA has presented no barrier or hindrance for Chicago to accomplish
exactly what you are arguing for, James.  But that doesn't mean that a
different institution will make, what is for them, an equally-valid but
different treatment decision for the same resource; the contribution they make
to the collective is no less valuable.  If a resource is peripheral to their
collection and they don't need to invest in creating as robust metadata as we
need for the same resource, which may be central to our collection, then we
will add what we need.  That's why we are here.

--Chris.

Christopher Cronin
Director of Metadata & Cataloging Services
University of Chicago Library
1100 E. 57th Street
Chicago, IL 60637

Phone: 773-702-8739