So, when AACR2 makes an arbitrary determination that "a single author is
good enough" when there are more than three, it is OK.

However, when RDA affords catalogers the option to follow that
historical arbitrary determination to its logical end (by extending its
application to numbers of authors less than three) or to break with the
pattern of arbitrary determinations (by allowing all authors regardless
of number), that is now a problem?

On a local basis, I routinely disregarded the Rule of Three in order to
incorporate descriptive elements and access points for college faculty.
In the future, regardless of whether the "restrictive" option allowed in
RDA is initially employed, the agencies where such access is important
will improve the record to meet their constituents' needs and
expectations.  Those agencies that use the record "as is", in its
pre-improved state, will do so because it meets the needs of their own
constituents and hence needn't worry about the subsequent changes.

John F. Myers, Catalog Librarian
Schaffer Library, Union College
807 Union St.
Schenectady NY 12308