From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] on behalf of Adam L. Schiff
[asch...@u.washington.edu]
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2012 11:10 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] "Date of publication not identified" & DtSt, Dates

The LC-PCC Policy Statement 2.8.6.6 says:

1. Supply a date of publication that corresponds to the copyright date, in
square brackets, if it seems reasonable to assume that date is a likely
publication date.

If you supply a probable date, then you don't need to record the copyright
date, although you certainly can.  So with a c2005 date on your piece, you
would do either:

264 _1 $c [2005]

Type of date: s

Dates: 2005,####

or you could do:

264 _1 $c [2005]
264 _4 $c (c)2005

Type of date: t

Dates: 2005, 2005

The LC-PCC PS also says:

2. If the copyright date is for the year following the year in which the
publication is received, supply a date of publication that corresponds to
the copyright date.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger