"In what sense does RDA suggest that SoRs are "recorded" and not "transcribed"?
RDA 2.4.1.4 (Recording Statements of Responsibility) says, "Transcribe a
statement of responsibility in the form in which it appears on the source of
information. Apply the general guidelines on transcription given under 1.7.
--Kathy Glennan"

Fair enough, they are transcribed.  I'm still just wrapping my head around the
fact that, after being told numerous times that there is a difference between
"recording" and "transcribing" under RDA, the latter is actually a subspecies
of the former.  (The same way, in serials cataloging, we sometimes talk about
"serials" and "journals" as two different things when "journal" is just a
specific type of serial.)

Still, the transcription guidelines under 1.7 do not discuss how to omit
information. That appears, as Heidrun points out, only to apply to particular
elements (mainly in the title).  The assumption seems to have been that
catalogers will never want or need to omit information anywhere other than in
those specific instances.

"So I'd vote for a solution like this:
- transcribe the first name
- transcribe other names, which you want to give, in the order in which they
appear in the statement of responsibility
- do not indicate if you've left out other names between the ones transcribed
- instead summarize what was left out at the end

-- Heidrun Wiesenmüller"

I think I agree with this.  It's practical.  People with more descriptive needs
(rare book, for example) may not.

This strikes me as a practice of last resort, when you are faced with an
extensive S-o-R and additional local requirements  (for example: your library
wants to record/trace people associated with your institution no matter where
they appear in the s-o-r).

--Ben

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems
MIT Libraries