MARC field 245 is for identifying the *manifestation* (RDA 2.3).  You use what
is found on the preferred source of the manifestation, typos and all.

You also need to identify the *work* (RDA 6.2).  In our current environment,
for the "typical" book (including dissertations) that's going to have a
creator's name as part of the access point, that means there must be a MARC
field 240 for the preferred title, if it differs from the title of the
manifestation.  The preferred title of the work can come from any source; it
does not depend entirely on the sole manifestation.

In this case under discussion, there IS a difference between the manifestation
and the preferred title of the work, so 240 should be used.

A note may also be given about the typo (RDA 2.20.2.4), but is not required.
(Personally, I would give the note.)  Whether this is done via 246 or 500 could
be debated.  246 is not really essential for access, since the correct form of
the title will be in the 240.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Northwestern University Library