From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Benjamin A Abrahamse
Sent: March-08-13 3:31 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Typos in Titles

I'm glad this is still being discussed, so I don't feel like a total fussbudget
for pining over a three-letter word.

The issue, in my opinion, is not really whether we use "sic" or some other
phrase (though I confess I find "sic" a wonderfully parsimonious way of
indicating an error.)

It is, as Michael Borris and others have previously stated, that the presence
of some kind of signal that the cataloger found what appears to be an error is
most useful when it's right next to the error.  I believe this usefulness
extends to users and catalogers alike.  The current, "sic-free" approach
enshrined by RDA forces people to compare two strings of text and play the "One
of these things is not like the other game." Which may not be a problem for
most titles, but could be a bigger hassle for longer titles or titles in
languages other than English (for English-speaking catalogers, that is.)

There is also a subtler point, perhaps, to be made. Yesterday Ian Fairclough
stated, "Personally, I dislike the phrase "Title should read".   Who are we
catalogers to tell people how their creations "should" read?".  I think there
is something to this.  "Sic"-ing something just says, "This is what it really
said, believe it or not." It does not necessarily mean, "I know what this
should say better than the author does." Which is sometimes true (in the case
of typos) and sometimes not (in the case of rap artists' names, neologisms,
puns, etc.)

--Ben

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems
MIT Libraries
617-253-7137