>Re: Thomas' comment, "and in fact most users are none the wiser and so assume
>[sic] is part of the title." I'm curious where you get this fact.  It may be a
>function of different user bases

We serve users of all ages and all walks of life. Probably many who are not
good spellers to begin with.

In the example of "Inglourious basterds," I checked our record. There is indeed
a 246 for the corrected title, so nothing would change with RDA.

A better solution would be to utilize the flexibility in online displays and
assign annotations on other elements a special place next to the affected
element.

RDA has three elements that can be brought to bear in the case of a clear
mistake in the title proper:

Title proper: Heirarchy in organizations
Variant title: Hierarchy in organizations
Note on title: Title should read: Hierarchy in organizations

If "Note on title" was linked directly to the title element it annotates one
could have a record display like:

Title proper: Heirarchy in organizations *
* (Title should read: Hierarchy in organizations)
Variant title: Hierarchy in organizations

The idea being that the original values in the RDA elements would be kept pure
and this information would be brought together by virtue of the encoding used
and style sheet applied (it's important to point out that this would be an
encoding solution, not an RDA content standard solution). I think this would be
very useful if automated and made consistent, because in looking at the list of
examples in RDA it seems quite appropriate to flag similar title transcription
issues in this way such as "title varies slightly."

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library