I had the initial same opinion with Gene Fieg. When I looked at the rule, I
was hardly able to convince myself that a statement of responsibility
includes whatever I see in the t.p., until I recalled AACR2 rule. I felt
that I said something very stupid. Now I feel much better :)

Joan Wang
Illinois Heartland Library System

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Gene Fieg <gf...@cst.edu> wrote:

> I will take the optional omission, then.  But even before all of that, the
> examples don't seem to imply or state that we have to include a lot of
> irrellevant info.
>
> Now, one should keep that t.p. in hand when makin authority records, but
> for description, not needed.
>
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Kevin M Randall <k...@northwestern.edu>wrote:
>
>>  The examples under "Optional Omission" are:****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> by Harry Smith****
>>
>> Source of information reads: by Dr. Harry Smith****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Charles F. Hoban, Jr.****
>>
>> Source of information reads: Charles F. Hoban, Jr., Special Assistant,
>> Division of Visual Education, Philadelphia Public Schools****
>>
>> ** **

>> Source of information reads: sponsored by the Library Association
>> (founded 1877)****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> The implication here is that the entire statement as found after "Source
>> of information reads:" would be included in the statement of responsibility
>> element, unless it is abridged per the Optional Omission.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Kevin M. Randall****
>>
>> Principal Serials Cataloger****
>>
>> Northwestern University Library****
>>
>> k...@northwestern.edu****
>>
>> (847) 491-2939****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Proudly wearing the sensible shoes since 1978!****
>>
>> ** **

Zhonghong (Joan) Wang, Ph.D.
Cataloger -- CMC
Illinois Heartland Library System (Edwardsville Office)
6725 Goshen Road
Edwardsville, IL 62025
618.656.3216x409
618.656.9401Fax