From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Benjamin A Abrahamse
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:07 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] S-o-R/RDA 2.4.1.4

Personally I would prefer that the optional omission be applied in these cases.
There is value to the "principle of representation" of course, but I believe
that value needs to be balanced against the fact that title pages have many
more visual devices available to them (use of white space, font and font size,
italic vs. roman, etc.) to communicate to users what information is essential
and what is not.  Since these cues are not available in a surrogate, the
cataloger should be able (and encouraged) to use his or her editorial judgment.