The RDA Content Type "audio" does cover MP3 players as the intermediary device
(RDA 3.2).

Which would result in:

Content type=audio
and
Carrier type=other

and which does correspond generally with current Playaway AACR2 record values:

GMD = [sound recording]
300$a = 1 sound media player

007/00=s - sound recording
007/00=z - other

But there is also a 006/00=m (computer file/electronic resource) and a 007/00=c
(electronic resource), as well as a 008/23=q (direct electronic).

I'm wondering for the computer-like "other" carrier, there couldn't be a
simplification based around the idea of the "file server".

For Carrier Type=online resource, according to the RDA/ONIX Framework
(http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/2007/5chair10.pdf) the StorageMediumFormat value
is "file server."

This makes sense when considering remote access or online resources, but a file
server can also be accessed directly (similar to "direct electronic"). A
portable media player is essentially a miniaturized and mass-produced "file
server," but accessed in a "direct electronic" way.

So perhaps all one needs is a new value for StorageMediumFormat parallel to
file server such as "digital media player". The word "player" denotes this will
be a direct electronic device as opposed to a remote access file server.

So, following RDA/ONIX generally one could have:

StorageMediumFormat = digital media player

HousingFormat = not applicable

IntermediationTool = audio

producing a label for Carrier Type "audio media player" and Media Type = audio.

Switch to  IntermediationTool = video for Playaway Views and one gets Carrier
Type = "video media player" and Media Type = video.

and

switch to IntermediationTool = computer for portable multimedia devices
(perhaps for all-in-one tablets or ebook readers that can combine digitized
text, audio and video) and one gets Carrier Type = "multimedia player" and
Media Type = computer. In RDA, Media Type=computer can be used for online or
direct electronic access.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library