If we back up to 3.2.1.1. in the toolkit we find:

Scope
Media
type▼<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/document.php?id=rdagloss&target=rdagloss-104#rdagloss-104>
is
a categorization reflecting the general type of intermediation device
required to view, play, run, etc., the content of a resource.

Because the Playaway does not require an "intermediation device", I think
one has to conclude that it is an "unmediated" "object."

Awkward? Yes. Misleading to patrons? Maybe. Correct per the premiere
resource of RDA standards? I think so...for now.

--Pam

--
*Pamela Withrow, MLIS*
Cataloger