From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of Heidrun Wiesenmüller
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:42 AM
To: RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca
Subject: [RDA-L] Periods in titles

Talking about periods ...
A colleague just brought the following example to my attention. The title page
shows the following:

WOLLEN. WISSEN. KÖNNEN.
Gestaltung attraktiver Arbeitsplätze
in der Langzeit-, Kurzzeit- und Übergangspflege und Betreuung

English translation:

TO WANT. TO KNOW. TO BE ABLE TO.
Designing attractive places of work
in long-term care, short-term care, transitional care and work as a legal
guardian

If you want to see the t.p. for yourself, the document is online here:
http://www.alter.bfh.ch/fileadmin/wgs_upload/institut_alter/publikationen/Themenheft_A4_HR_dt_web.pdf

Now, what about the periods in the title proper? According to the German RAK
rules, I would have exchanged the first and second one for a comma, and the
last one for a colon to introduce the other title information.
So, my solution would have been:

Wollen, wissen, können : Gestaltung attraktiver Arbeitsplätze in der Langzeit-,
Kurzzeit- und Übergangspflege und Betreuung

But now, what's the result according to RDA? The last period obviously still
has to go, as RDA says in 1.7.3: "Transcribe punctuation as it appears on the
source, omitting punctuation on the source that separates data to be recorded
as one element from data to be recorded as a different element, or as a second
or subsequent instance of an element."
But I assume that the first and second periods must be retained, as in RDA
there is only a possbility to add punctuation, but not to change it.
So, I conclude that the RDA solution is (if we use ISBD punctuation between
title proper and other title information):

Wollen. Wissen. Können : Gestaltung attraktiver Arbeitsplätze in der Langzeit-,
Kurzzeit- und Übergangspflege und Betreuung

Would you agree or am I on the wrong track here?

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.