Wilson, Pete <pete.wil...@vanderbilt.edu> wrote:

> Should we be doing something similar for works that are selections from a
> single larger work, rather than collective works?  Certainly there is no
> reason to think that one book of selections from, say, Paradise Lost would
> have the same content as another.  Are we making headings like:
>
> Milton, John, $d 1608-1674. $t Paradise lost. $k Selections (Best of
> Paradise lost)
>
> or
>
> Milton, John, $d 1608-1674. $t Paradise lost. $k Selections (2012)?

Doing so would follow the same principle as distinguishing between
selections of full sets of works.  It wouldn't surprise me if there are
some music headings out there that do this.  Here's one example of a
textual work:

 Euler, Leonhard, ǂd 1707-1783. $t Vollständige Anleitung zur Algebra. $k
Selections $s (Ebert)

<http://lccn.loc.gov/no2012126909>

--
Mark K. Ehlert