Hi,

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 04:40:27AM +0100, Greg Landrum wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Michael Banck <mba...@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 10:12:03AM +0100, Greg Landrum wrote:
> > 1. Running the test-suite in-place is either impossible or really tricky
> > as the cmake puts the compiled objects below obj-* and leaves the python
> > code (including the .pyc byte-code files) in the main source tree.  I
> > had to give up and just copy over rdkit recursively into obj-*.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here. If you're doing an out-of-source
> build (which it sounds like you are), then you need to do a "make
> install" to get the built .so files copied into the $RDBASE/rdkit
> directory so that the python tests can pass.

The general way of building Debian packages is:

1. Configure (run cmake in this case)
2. Make
3. Run testsuite, if there is any
4. Run Make install, overriding the target directory to a staging
directory under debian/
5. Assemble package from the contents of the staging directory plus
additional metadata.

This makes it impossible or at least hackish and awkward to run the
testsuite after install.

I will have to look how other cmake projects do this with compiled
python modules.  Note that I set RDK_INSTALL_INTREE=OFF.

Maybe it would indeed be easiest to do an in-tree build, but in my
opinion, it should not matter whether one builds in-tree or not.

> Up to this point I was fine, and can fix the problem, but this one:
> > rdkit-201112/rdkit/__init__.py
> is in svn, so it shouldn't be showing up as something that didn't
> originally exist.

Right, that was probably some leftover from some unsuccessful
experiments I did with trying to add some stuff to __init__.py so it
finds the corresponding .so files. So nevermind this.

Michael