As a thought, it might make sense to consider a distinction between
publication-quality images and "pretty good" images. The latter require
speed and clarity, whereas a number of additional niceties (I hate to use
the word "elegance") would be highly desirable for the former, even at the
expense of speed. For example, for publication-quality images, one might
try to adhere more closely to the IUPAC recommendations for 2D depictions.

-P.