On 12/29/2016 02:35 PM, Peter S. Shenkin wrote:
> Dimitri,
>
> You were the one who suggested that all the structural depictions be
> generated.
>
> I, in contrast, suggested that only the ones users need to look at need be
> generated. I further suggested that these would only constitute a small
> fraction of those in a large DB.

My objection was to using numbers like

> ... for 92877507
> structures (current size PubChem Compound):
> 1s per structure = 1074 days (~3 years)
> 100 ms per structure = 107 days
> 1ms per structure = 25 hours

as if they actually mean something.

I responded that *if* the requirement is to generate all 100M
depictions, making the code faster on a single CPU core is rarely the
cost-effective solution. That was a purely academic "if" because I don't
believe that regenerating all the depictions at once on a regular basis
is a realistic use case, either.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin