On 12/29/2016 12:43 PM, Peter S. Shenkin wrote:
> Look, it all boils down to (CPU) time, and time is money.

It's very hard to say how much a single cpu core actually costs 'cause
they don't make them anymore. Similarly, our small molecule SVGs average
at around 4K, storing 10M of those will require about 40GB and they
don't make disks that small anymore either. 64GB USB stick is twenty bucks.

I've no idea how much I actually cost our funding agency per hour, nor
how many hours it would take me to even figure out if a piece of code of
any kind of complexity can be optimized. But I can guarantee you that a)
it's much more than $20, and b) hiring a competent programmer will cost
you more than buying a "better computer" and is not guaranteed to result
in any appreciable speed-up.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin