Good evening all,

I am finding these contradictory arguments a bit hard to follow.  If I may
play devil's advocate (another entity supported by even fewer people, but I
digress) for a moment, without being labelled myself one way or another and
getting people off-side.

  Sorry I jumped the gun and misread "do not recognise any religion at all"
as being atheists, but isn't that the issue - those who do not believe in
God, ie atheists, will be offended.  If the number of atheists is indeed
quite low, as Trudy and Rod assert, (and regretting that atheists, and
agnostics, will be offended, but then name anything that does get 100%
agreement) than surely it is fair enough to include a reference to a belief
held by the overwhelming majority of Australians,  and a form of words can
be found that incorporates the diversity of that belief.

Rod, you quoted a lot of statistics which boil down to the conclusion that
between 16.6% and 31% (allowing for growth) follow no religion.  As Trudy
points out this is not the same as not believing in God, the preamble
statement would not claim that Australians follow a religion, but recognise
that Australians believe in God, which the census apparently says is true.
To go the other way and claim that we are a secular state, ie "concerned
with the affairs of this world, not spiritual or sacred" (Oxford Dict.), is
even more extreme than including a God reference and will offend a greater
number.  It certainly does not recognise what we claim for the spirituality
of Indigenous culture.

Nevertheless, all that said, I think the indigenous references will be lost
if too many contentious issues are included in the same question.
Disempowerment increases as the number of questions put at referenda
decrease, instead we should be asked to assent to each part separately.
Anything else is tactical manoeuvring.

Please read this in the spirit it was intended, no offence meant.

Regards,
Peter.

<snip>
> (source ABS Web data on religious affiliation.)
>
>  My own view is that the preamble should state that we are a
> secular state,
> which recognises the freedom of people to either believe, or
> not believe,
> as their personal conscience dictates.
>
> Cheers
>
> Rod