RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the forum, and more check out the website at
http://www.rednews.co.uk
For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

---------------------------------
[24] Stuart Brennan in MEN
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
 http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/

'MANCHESTER United should be praying that the quotes attributed to Cristiano
Ronaldo are just an exaggerated part of the Real Madrid election process.
Because if the Portuguese star does leave Old Trafford this summer, the cost
could be incalculable. Not in terms of hard cash, because the Reds would pick
up a hefty fee for the 21-year-old, and not necessarily in playing terms,
although he would be hard to replace.

No, the damage would be to United's credibility as a European football
super-power, able to attract the top names and keep hold of them.

If the pulling power of the Spanish giants proves too much for Ronaldo and for
United, the Reds are on their way to becoming just another feeder club.

Doubts have already arisen about United's powers of attraction. Players who
seven years ago might have crawled to Old Trafford on hands and knees have been
turning the Reds down - Arjen Robben, John Obi Mikel and Franck Ribery to name
three.

The possible departures of Ruud van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo would reinforce that
message, and emphasise the view in some parts of Europe that United are a
fading force, yesterday's team.

As a racing fanatic, Ferguson could be forgiven for thinking he may have backed
the wrong horse when he came down on Ronaldo's side after the young Portuguese
star clashed with Ruud van Nistelrooy on the Carrington training pitch last
month.

Now he could end up losing both players, turning what was meant to a summer of
tweaks into an off-season re-building of a crumbling team.

Ferguson had staked United's future on a clutch of young players, notably the
outrageous talents of Wayne Rooney, Ronaldo and Giuseppe Rossi.

Now, with a few swift, brutal words to a Spanish journalist, Ronaldo has
indicated that he wants to leave.

United have urged caution, pointing out that strange things happen, and strange
quotes appear, when presidential elections are in the Madrid air.

But reputable sources in Spain suggest that Ronaldo's comments have been
accurately reported. If that is the case, it would be very difficult, if not
impossible, to hang on to the 21-year-old.

Ferguson will not linger too long trying to persuade Ronaldo to stay, once the
player's intentions become known.

Like any hard-core supporter, Fergie takes the view that you are either Red or
you ain't. There was no shilly-shallying over Seba Veron, Paul Ince or Andrei
Kanchelskis.

Ferguson will quietly seethe if it becomes plain that Ronaldo does want to go.
As well as the £12m-plus United paid for him, the Reds have invested plenty in
helping him become the star he is.

When he was facing untrue rape allegations last season, he was guided through
the emotional and legal minefields by the club, and was given great support
when his father tragically died last year.

Ferguson has recognised the lad's needs, regularly allowing him trips back to
his home island of Madeira. If this is his repayment for such sensitive
handling, perhaps Ronaldo will be better suited to the hard-nosed politics of
Madrid.

And Ferguson made it plain that he was standing by the youngster after the row
with van Nistelrooy, even if it meant risking the loss of a man who has
re-written United history in the Champions League goalscoring stakes.

The big headache for Ferguson is that, if Ronaldo is ready to go, and van
Nistelrooy fulfils his desire to escape, he will have to put the summer
shopping basket back and get a trolley instead.

Two months ago, Ferguson's summer mission was clear - he needed an influential
central midfielder, or two, and anything else was decorative.

The manager's clout in the market was increased when Chelsea agreed to stump up
£10m for Mikel, the Nigerian teenager who has not even pulled on a United
shirt, but unwisely signed a pre-contract agreement before deciding he would
rather play for Chelsea.

With van Nistelrooy's transfer value plummeting, as he has gone from top
European striker to third-choice for his country during the World Cup, that
money will be welcome. Bayern Munich have already waved £8m around in front of
United noses, although the Reds want double that.

Ronaldo should command a huge fee if he goes, with United holding the aces.
They have the player contracted until 2010, and the Real Madrid presidential
candidate who wants Ronaldo does not want to start his tenure in office by
letting the fans down.

So the money for Mikel, Ronaldo and van Nistelrooy would give Ferguson an
overflowing war chest - as long as the Glazers allow him to spend it.

But they appear to have a £26m interest payment due on their whacking loan to
buy the club, and the sight of all that lovely lolly might just be too tempting.

United cannot afford to lose Ronaldo - and they cannot afford to force him to
stay.'

---------------------------------
[23] The Best
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
The Best

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

M, L (28 inches high, 22 inches wide), XL (29 inches high, 24 inches wide) and
XXL sizes available

Just £15 inc p&p UK, £17 ROW - product code is, simply, BEST

You can order by sending a cheque to Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG.

Alternatively you can order by credit card - Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Switch or
Solo - for any one or any number of the shirts/hoods via the fast, safe and
secure paypal.

Just make sure you enter the correct product code for each shirt/hoodie (listed
on the shop part of the site) when ordering, together with the size (if others
than extra large are available, check on each specific item if that is the
case) and the correct price - please fill in the price column online
accordingly. Prices includes postage and packing.

Click on

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+T-Shirts&item_number=RN+T-Shirts&cn=State+Product+Code+of+T-Shirt&currency_code=GBP

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+T-Shirts&item_number=RN+T-Shirts&cn=State+Product+Code+of+T-Shirt&currency_code=GBP

---------------------------------
[22] Danny Pugh joins Preston
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
 http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=75&ArticleID=1588806
http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=75&ArticleID=1588806

'Paul Simpson is hoping winger Danny Pugh will not be his only signing before
the Preston players gather for pre-season training next Monday.
The new PNE manager moved swiftly to snap up the wideman from Leeds just days
after taking charge at Deepdale.

But he admitted he has other targets in mind and is working hard to bring them
in.

"There is nothing imminent as we speak," he said.

"But you never know in this business. As we found with Danny, it can all be
done very quickly once it starts moving.
"We have got other players in mind, but they are all situations which are
on-going at present."

Simpson will obey club policy on transfers by keeping his dealings top secret
until pen is put to paper. It proved successful at the end of last week, with
Pugh's signing taking many by surprise.

"We don't want other clubs getting a sniff of what we are doing and that's how
we will keep working," he said.

Pugh, 23, completed all the paperwork on his move across the Pennines late on
Friday and admits he can't wait to get started with pre-season training.

The former Manchester United trainee had a frustrating second half of last
season after drifting out of the starting line-up at Leeds.

And he is keen to start afresh with a new club to get his career back on track.

"I didn't need any persuading when the offer of a move to Preston came," he
said.

"I was very keen to get over here and as soon as I was offered the contract I
was eager to sign it.

"Last season was very frustrating for me and I didn't play as many games as I
would have liked.

"But this is a clean slate and I am looking forward to meeting the rest of the
lads and getting down to work."
Pugh can play either wide on the left or at full-back.

But Simpson admitted to the Evening Post: "I see him more as a left midfield
player than a left-back. That's where I see him playing."

---------------------------------
[21] Eric on Fergie and Mourinho
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
“They are both winners and psychologically very strong. That is very important
in terms of the influence they have on their players and the way in which they
deal with the press and the provocation from the press.  They are both very
good at knowing what to say, when to say it and why they need to say it. That
can be very important, perhaps even as important as the way their teams play
because when they say things the media attention is on them and not the players
so the players can play without pressure.”

---------------------------------
[20] Cantona in United mag
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
“I’m sure United will come good. They are building a team for the future
whereas Chelsea are building a team for today and maybe the next one or two
years. Year after year they will buy player after player after player and
sometimes it will work and sometimes it won’t. I think you are stronger when
you build a team or a generation of players who can play together for ten
years. That’s why I believe United will win more Championships than Chelsea in
the next ten years, I’m sure of that.”

var uri = 'http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp/img/16363868/608750?' + new String
(Math.random()).substring(2,11);document.write('
http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=18710&a=608750&g=16363868
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news
');

---------------------------------
[19] More Rio on Ronaldo
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
 "Cristiano is a fantastic footballer and from speaking to him beforehand he's
someone who wants to make an imprint on this World Cup. He has the ability to
be one of the best players in the world if he carries on improving. His battle
with Ashley Cole in the last European Championship was one of the highlights of
the tournament for me. I would envisage another battle of similar quality, but
Ashley had a fantastic game against Ecuador and he's in the right frame of mind
and the right shape physically to deal with somebody like Cristiano. I would
rather have Wayne Rooney in my side. People say Wayne can't do this or do that,
but I think Wayne can play as the man off the front man or the man up front on
his own. I think he is that good. He has enough strength and desire and nous to
do that.' I would take a 1-0 every time if it meant we won the World Cup. Look
at Arsenal. Boring, boring Arsenal. They always won 1-0 too!"

---------------------------------
[18] I'm a United fan get me out of here!
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
I'm a United fan get me out of here!...

if anyone has any funny/nightmarish moments in a opposition home end let us
know.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[17] Rio on World Cup dreams
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
"Personally, anything less than the final will be a disappointment. Noone comes
here to get to the quarter-final and can be content with that. I've been in a
quarter-final before and it means nothing when you go out - whoever you go out
to. Getting to the final of a tournament and being at the last stage, with a
chance to pick up the trophy, is the only way I can see it being a successful
tournament for us."

---------------------------------
[16] Mirror on Ronaldo
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
'PORTUGAL'S World Cup campaign was thrown into disarray last night after
Cristiano Ronaldo claimed he wanted to leave Manchester United for Real Madrid.

With just three days before their World Cup quarter-final clash with England,
Portugal winger Ronaldo has found himself embroiled in a furious row with
United over his astonishing claim.

United have demanded an explanation from Ronaldo, who is said to have been
deeply troubled by the timing of the revelations and the anger they have
stirred up back at Old Trafford.

The controversy is the worst possible preparation for Ronaldo ahead of
Saturday's showdown with England, when the 21-year-old winger's mind should be
focused on the World Cup.

It has emerged Ronaldo has held talks with Real Madrid presidential candidate
Juan Miguel Villar Mar and agreed to move to the Bernabeu if the Spaniard wins
Sunday's election.

"I have told my agent that I would like to leave," said Ronaldo. "I want to do
so in the best way possible. I want to play for Madrid and I dream about it.

"I have gone with Villar Mir's project because it is serious and follows
correct procedures.

"They have explained to me their plans and the next step is they will talk to
Manchester United to open negotiations.

"Other candidates wanted me to sign a document which is not legal. Villar Mir
has promised me he will talk to the club and all we have done is talk through
an agent."

United are furious with Ronaldo, after handing him a lucrative five-year
£50,000-a-week contract extension.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is said to be livid with the claims from Ronaldo
which prompted United, who usually decline to comment on such issues, to issue
an unequivocal rebuttal.

Villar Mar's claim that United knew he was talking with Ronaldo provoked a
fierce response.

"There has been no contact between Manchester United and Villar Mir's election
team or Real Madrid, and any suggestion there has been is incorrect," said a
United spokesman.

"Unfortunately, these tactics seem to be a common occurrence in elections of
this nature. Cristiano Ronaldo has signed a longterm contract with Manchester
United which runs until 2010."

Villa Mar has already claimed he will install Arsene Wenger as Real's new
manager if elected.'

---------------------------------
[15] Juventus general manager suicide attempt?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
from PA

'Italian football fans were in shock yesterday at the apparent attempted
suicide of Gianluca Pessotto, the team manager of Juventus, the football  club
embroiled in the biggest scandal in the country's sporting history.

Mr Pessotto fell about 15 metres from an attic window of the club's Turin
headquarters into an internal courtyard. He was found by colleagues  clutching
rosary beads in his hands, having left his car keys and mobile  phone on the
window ledge.

He was treated for multiple fractures and internal haemorrhaging. His
condition was later described as grave but stable.

Romy Gai, the commercial director of the Serie A club, who visited Mr  Pessotto
in hospital, said nobody had any idea what had happened. Mr  Pessotto, 35, was
apparently being treated for depression linked to  personal problems. Juventus
players in the Italian World Cup squad were  expected to fly back from Germany
to Turin to visit him. The Italian  captain, Fabio Cannavaro, said he was
devastated by the news.

Juventus have recently been at the centre of a huge match-fixing scandal  that
has rocked Italian football, but Mr Pessotto has not been implicated  in any
way.

The club's former managing director Antonio Giraudo and its former sporting
director Luciano Moggi are under criminal investigation for "sporting  fraud",
for allegedly controlling a network of referees in order to  guarantee
favourable results.

In a related investigation by the Italian Football Association, the club  faces
demotion to the second division and could be stripped of its two most  recent
league titles.'

from  http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0628/pessottog.html
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0628/pessottog.html

'The wife of Gianluca Pessotto has added to speculation that her husband tried
to take his own life today - revealing that the former Italy international 'did
not feel capable of being the team manager' at Juventus.

The 35-year-old fell from a balcony at Juve's headquarters in Turin and is
still receiving treatment at the city's Molinette hospital.

His wife Reana Pessotto, who has been at his bedside since he arrived in
hospital in the early afternoon, confirmed reports that her husband had been
suffering from depression.

'He kept telling me that there was too much difference between being on the
field and behind a desk,' she told gazzetta.it.'

from Guardian

'Try as they might Italy's footballers cannot shake off the past. Yesterday
should have been a day of reflection and relief for Marcello Lippi's squad,
whose last-gasp second-round victory over Australia secured a quarter-final
against Ukraine that they will believe offers them a path to the semi-finals.
Instead preparations for Friday's game at the Italian camp in Duisburg were
submerged by the shadow of the match- fixing scandal shaking the domestic game,
a saga rendered suddenly personal to the Azzurri by news of the apparent
attempted suicide of the former Juventus defender Gianluca Pessotto.

Pessotto, 35, capped 22 times by Italy and a team-mate and personal friend of
many of the Italian squad, was appointed sporting director of Juventus last
month after the entire board resigned following allegations that the general
manager Luciano Moggi had attempted to manipulate referees.
Yesterday morning Pessotto was found in the street outside Juventus's
headquarters clutching rosary beads, having apparently thrown himself from a
dormer window in the roof 15 metres up. An investigative source told Reuters he
was alone in the room at the time, and speculated that the fall was "voluntary".

A sporting tribunal into the allegations, which could end with Juventus being
relegated and losing last year's scudetto, opens tomorrow. Pessotto, who is not
among those charged, was in a serious but stable condition in hospital last
night having suffered internal injuries and multiple fractures.

News of the incident cast a long shadow over the Italian camp. The captain
Fabio Cannavaro, one of five Juventus players in the squad, was laughing and
joking with reporters at a news conference when he heard. "I'm devastated.
Pessotto was the nicest guy in the world," he said before abruptly leaving. Two
players, Alessandro Del Piero and Gianluca Zambrotta, and Ciro Ferrara, a
member of Italy's coaching staff, flew back to Italy last night to visit their
former team-mate.

Marco Materazzi, sent off on Monday for a two-footed lunge, put his own
troubles behind him to praise Pessotto. "He was here with us the other day,"
the Internazionale defender said. "He's a friend, many of us have played with
him on the national team. We hope he recovers soon, with no damage."

It is impossible to gauge what effect Pessotto's fall will have on the morale
and composure of the Italian squad. Their build-up to the tournament was
dominated by the Juventus scandal yet the players arrived in Germany apparently
united by adversity and playing with uncharacteristic freedom.'

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5042816

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[14] The Red News Summer Mag. ONLY available via mail order
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
The Red News Summer Special (issue 126) is out on July 14th and is ONLY
available by online or mail order. So order Red News 126 here! This will not be
sold at any game.

United's First Fanzine. Now 19 years old!

Without the fanzine, and your support, there is no website.

Either send sterling cheque for £2.50 to Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16
8LG made payable to Red News) or by credit card below (or we can ring you and
process it ourselves - send us your number to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

100% Independent. 100% Unofficial. Let's keep it that way.

RN126 Out end of June
RN125 Out Sunday May 7th
RN 124 Still available
RN 123 Exclusive Ole interview Still available
RN 121 George Best tribute Still available
RN 120 Still available
RN 119 Still available

In the UK £2.50 inc p&p each copy
ROW £3.50 inc p&p  each copy

To order a single copy click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

UK 10 issue sub £25.00 inc p&p
Europe 10 issue sub £30.00 inc p&p
Rest Of The World 10 issue sub £35.00 inc p&p

All our t-shirts - Some classic designs

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm

ECF '68 High Quality retro Shirts with Hand Embroided Crest. Order by credit
card or cheque at...

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htm

NEW UNOFFICIAL 'ALTERNATIVE' HOME SHIRTS - £5 to Phoenix Fund

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm

And those kind hearted souls out there can help with our costs by making an
online donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit
helps with our costs - thanks. click on.

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

Please fill in the price column online accordingly and state which issue or
offer when you are ordering.

---------------------------------
[13] Tim Rich in Telegraph
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
'For someone whose first two transfer fees comprised five sets of kit and £350,
the stakes are now very high for Cristiano Ronaldo.

It is one of football's new laws that when a player says he wants to leave a
club, he goes. Sometimes sooner, maybe later; but the days are long gone when
Tom Finney could be told that far from increasing his wages tenfold in Serie A
he would be remaining at Preston on the same money.

Manchester United reacted angrily to a report in the Spanish sports daily,
Marca, that Ronaldo had been attempting to negotiate a move to Real Madrid
should Spain's former finance minister, Juan Miguel Villar Mir, win the club's
presidential election.

Declaring themselves "astonished" by Ronaldo's comments that he had instructed
his agent to open talks with United after speaking to Villar Mir, the club
issued a statement denying any contact with either party, ending with the
words: "Unfortunately, these tactics are a common occurrence in elections of
this nature." This United should know, having offered David Beckham for sale to
Joan Laporta during his successful campaign for the Barcelona presidency in
2003.

Ronaldo might claim he had been misquoted although some of his comments - "I
told my agent I am prepared to leave...it is a dream to play for Madrid. The
next step is they will talk to Manchester United to open negotiations" - appear
unambiguous.

Ronaldo is still only 21 and struggles to control his emotions. The tears in
his eyes when he was substituted against Angola and Holland, the latter after a
crude tackle from Dutch defender Khalid Boulahrouz, that might yet keep him out
of Saturday's quarter-final against England, are proof of that.

While Ruud van Nistelrooy, who upset Ronaldo at United's training headquarters
with some apparently ill-judged remarks about his late father, has not
commented on reported interest from Bayern Munich and AC Milan, Ronaldo seems
only too ready to talk to reporters. In February, he let it slip that his agent
had been contacted by both Valencia and Juventus, while hastily adding that he
fully intended to honour a contract that has four years to run. He has been
away from his home in Madeira since the age of 11 when he joined Sporting
Lisbon's academy and, although his mother and two brothers accompanied him to
Manchester, he does mention his dislike of English weather rather too
frequently.

His manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, will be furious. The three Rs on whom he has
spent £69 million - Rio (Ferdinand), Wayne Rooney and Ronaldo - are seen as the
core around which United can be rebuilt. When Paddy Crerand, one of the players
who brought the European Cup to Old Trafford in 1968, told MUTV that he wanted
to run down to the pitch and "kick Cristiano Ronaldo up the backside" during
the goalless draw with Sunderland that ended the forlorn title pursuit of
Chelsea, Ferguson counselled patience. United would see the best of Rooney and
Ronaldo in three or four years' time when they will be approaching their peak,
he said. Madrid now threaten that.

Luiz Filipe Scolari plays the part of the stern father figure every bit as
vividly as Ferguson. Until Costinha and Deco were sent off against Holland, he
had not seen a man dismissed in his four years with Portugal.

Yet he knows that the last two tournaments before his arrival - Euro 2000 and
the World Cup that followed - ended with Portuguese footballers banned for
assaulting or intimidating referees, and he has been fretting over Ronaldo.

"He worries me because the majority of opponents provoke him and he doesn't
know how to deal with it," Scolari said. Gary Neville and Ferdinand both know
too well how easy it is to get underneath Ronaldo's skin.

In the European Championship two years ago, Luis Figo was still the undisputed
star of Portuguese football. Now, especially with Deco's suspension confirmed,
much rests on Ronaldo's slim shoulders, although he admits being uncomfortable
with the adulation. "I have mixed feelings," he says. "When nobody knew who I
was, I always used to ask my mates: 'When am I going to be famous? When will
people ask for my autograph? Now they do, I ask why."

When United came to Lisbon in December for what proved a disastrous Champions
League fixture, images of Ronaldo in the cherry red of Portugal hung from
advertising hoardings across the city. United were playing Benfica, the club
Ronaldo grew up supporting, and they had to win.

To catcalls and whistles around the Stadium of Light, he delivered possibly his
worst performance of the season. He left the pitch early and distraught.
Yesterday, Deco argued that England's public expect too much of their
footballers but, as Ronaldo knows only too well, so too do Portugal.'

---------------------------------
[12] PA on Gary Nev
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
'Gary Neville was back in full training with his England team-mates for the
first time in a fortnight when they began preparations today for the World Cup
quarter-final clash against Portugal at the weekend.

The Manchester United defender has been sidelined with a calf injury and was
unavailable for the final group match with Sweden.

He then suffered a reaction when he attempted to make a comeback in training
ahead of the second-round meeting with Ecuador.

The right-back trained on his own yesterday supervised by England physio Gary
Lewin and today took a full part in England’s first session after being given
the best part of two days off by Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Eriksson would love to have his first choice right-back available again after
an injury-hit build-up to the finals.

He picked up a hamstring injury against Hungary at Old Trafford and missed the
final friendly international with Jamaica before collecting his 80th cap in the
World Cup opener against Paraguay.

Neville looked ring-rusty in that game and his match sharpness would be a
concern if Eriksson decided to risk him against the Portuguese.'

---------------------------------
[11] FREE £10 World Cup Bet
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
When you plan to have a bet - use Sporting Odds through us

 http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983
http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983

---------------------------------
[10] More Rio
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
"I won't be thinking about Scolari one bit, he's not my manager. He has got
nothing for me to think about. He's nothing to do with England, so I will have
no thoughts on him. I think the main thing is that it is the players who make
the difference at the end of the day. A chance goes to a front man and the
manager is not going to be there to finish it off. If a ball needs clearing
from the back it is the defenders and goalkeeper who have to deal with it, not
the manager. The manager sets the stall out, but it is the players who have to
go out and implement that. When a manager speaks to you about something or
during the game at half-time you take that in, and it is then up to you to go
out and make that happen in a game. I think the way you're told, whether it is
someone having a quiet word or someone who does it more vocally, doesn't have a
bearing on the way I play. I like the pressure. I love when there is pressure
to do well and to achieve things, to go out and perform - but everyone's
different. Maybe Ashley's seeing it from a different angle, but I like it when
there's pressure on. I just like the importance of the game, the buzz around
the game and the fact that all eyes are on the showpiece. It's almost like the
chips are down, the feeling in England is that we are not doing well and we are
not playing well. I kind of like it when it's like that because it brings
people together."

Booking a train ticket?

var uri = 'http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp/js/101842/608750?' + new String
(Math.random()).substring (2, 11); document.write('');

Red News are pleased to recommend a local marketing and design company who can
do anything from a few flyers and stationery to full marketing strategies and
stunning photography. visit:  http://www.touchmarketing.co.uk
http://www.touchmarketing.co.uk - they even offer special rates for Red News
readers.

Red News has started selling goods in its own Shop on e.bay - spread the word!

 http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RedNewsShop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RedNewsShop

great original t-shirts  http://www.sumosam.co.uk/ http://www.sumosam.co.uk/

---------------------------------
[9] 5 Red News' for... just £5 inc p&p
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
There are now 5 Red News' from last season still available... and you can get
ALL 5 for JUST £5 INCLUDING p&p in UK... £9 ROW... and when you order you get
FREE entry into our VIP Forum for a month. What a bargain!

Never read the mag? Or just missed out this season? Then order the 5 available
Red News' from this season (including the Bestie tribute comes with the 5 as
well) for JUST £5 in the UK INCLUDING p&p and £9 ROW (inc p&p). You also then
qualify for a free months entry into our news breaking VIP Forum.

Order here - product code 5OFFER

To order a single copy click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

---------------------------------
[8] Henry doesn't mention his cheating face clutching
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
"Spain's left-back Mariano Perina was going to win the ball so I don't know why
Puyol cut across me, but he did. I don't cheat."

---------------------------------
[7] Have a FREE matched £40 World Cup bet
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
 http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-2051413-10351781

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[6] The SUN speculate
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
'ALEX FERGUSON has been urged to make peace with Ruud van Nistelrooy to stem
the chaos at Manchester United. Fergie’s bosses, the Glazer family, do not want
to see the club’s ace goalscorer leave and are growing concerned at the
preparations for the new season.

And they have been rocked further with the news wing wizard Cristiano Ronaldo
wants out.

Ferguson backed Portuguese ace Ronaldo, 21, in his dispute with Dutch star Van
Nistelrooy, 29, at the end of last season.

But BOTH could now be on their way — this after losing inspirational captain
Roy Keane following a bust-up with Fergie.

United have also not replaced popular club doctor Mike Stone, sacked over Wayne
Rooney’s fitness.

Ronaldo’s statement yesterday that he wants to join Real Madrid will have
rocked Fergie.

He turned the player into a world star following his £12.5million move from
Sporting Lisbon.

United may tempt Chelsea’s Damien Duff back up north if they lose Ronaldo —
plus they look set to get Michael Carrick from Tottenham.'

---------------------------------
[5] Deco on Rooney-Pele tag
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
“I can’t even translate my reaction to that. He is a very young player with a
lot of qualities. But comparing him to Pele is a little too much.”

Phil Scolari

“One is white, the other is black. Rooney is an excellent player but Pele is
unique. There will never be another Pele — not even in a computer game.”

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-10306929

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[4] Order off Amazon and help us
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
Paul Parker's new book

Ipod shuffle

The Men in Black - paperback edition out this month

Lee Sharpe's book now in paperback, just £3.99!

Bryan Robson's autobiography - coming in May

Bill Foulkes

The Lost Babes

Paul Parker's autobiography
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=190544947X
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=190544947X
Bryan Robson's autobiography
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0340839562
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0340839562
Danny Wallace's Danny Boy
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1905156200
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1905156200
The lost Babes
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0007208073
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=0007208073
The Belfast Boy by Don Fardon
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000CQJZ2G
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000CQJZ2G
You Raise Me Up - A Tribute to George Best [Single] Brian Kennedy
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000CS3R2I
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000CS3R2I
The Men in Black: Further Exploits of Manchester United's Soccer Mob by Tony
O'Neill
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854490
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854490
in paperback: Red Army General: The Inside Story of the World's Most Infamous
Football Firm
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854458
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854458
Back from the Brink: Manchester United Crisis, 1919-1932
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=190174647X
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=190174647X
1968 European Cup Final for just under £12
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000B0QJJK
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B000B0QJJK
Busby Babes John Doherty and The Insider's Guide to Manchester United: Candid
Profiles of Every Red Devil Since 1945 £6 OFF
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1901746410
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1901746410
Manchester United - FA Cup Final Classics - New Dvd
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00083D4FM
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00083D4FM
Tony Whelan United Academy Chief 'The Birth of the Babes', 'Manchester United
Youth Policy, 1950-1957'
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1901746453
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1901746453
Grafters
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854288
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=1903854288
Manchester United. The FA Cup Finals. Every Final since 1963 in a boxed set,
£15 off the r.r.price
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00061RZEW
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00061RZEW
Bring back those Cup memories with the 1977 Cup Final. Under £6 on DVD from
Amazon
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B0001IMD4C
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B0001IMD4C
Scousebusters 1985 Cup Final
 http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00027NW1A
http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=B00027NW1A

---------------------------------
[3] Rio when asked
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
Rooney or Ronaldo in his team

“Rooney! But Cristiano is an obvious threat and is one of the best in the
world. He has great ability. Portugal are a very good side with experienced
players all over the park and the game against them in Euro 2004 was very
tough. I’m sure this one will be similar. But the last game will have no
bearing on this one.”

---------------------------------
[2] Rio on Rooney
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
“I have to say Wayne has surprised me with the way he has recovered from his
injury. Even when I was talking to the Press and saying he would be all right
and that he’d be fit I had quite a bit of doubt in my mind that he’d be ready.
He’s a fit lad though. People talk about the way he looks sometimes but Wazza
probably does the most running in the United team and it’s the same with
England. He’s naturally fit and he’s naturally a good footballer. It was not
like he was going to lose his touch overnight. But I was surprised how strongly
he finished against Ecuador. There was that time late in the game when he cut
inside and set up a chance for Frank Lampard. I honestly didn’t think he’d have
that much in the tank but he got stronger and stronger. I think we would have
won last time if Wayne hadn’t got injured and he’d probably tell you that as
well. But there’s no point talking about the past, we have to focus on what’s
next. People say Wayne can’t do that lone role but he can, he’s that good. He
has enough strength and desire and nous to do that. He can run in behind as
good as most centre-forwards or drop off as good as most. He feels he’s got
more chance of going through on goal if he gets put in and like any striker he
loves scoring goals"

---------------------------------
[1] SUN says Fergie feels betrayed
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006 by ed:
'ALEX FERGUSON says he feels betrayed after Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo
said he wants to quit Manchester United.

Old Trafford chief Fergie was stunned yesterday when the winger, 21, announced
he wants to join Real Madrid.

A source said: “Alex can’t believe this. He has stood by Ronaldo and helped him
become a better player and sided with him in a row with Ruud van Nistelrooy and
this is the thanks he gets.”

The £20million-rated player backed Real presidential candidate Juan Miguel
Villar Mir.

Ronaldo said: “I have told my agent I would like to leave. I want to play for
Madrid, I dream about it.

“They have explained their plans and the next step is that they will talk to
United.”

Chelsea midfielder Arjen Robben, 22, is also pledging his future to Real — if
Ramon Calderon takes charge at the Bernabeu.'

---------------------------------
[24] From Spain's Associated Press
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, June 27, 2006 by ed:
'Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo hopes Real Madrid's presidential
election on Sunday will help him secure a transfer to the Spanish powerhouse.

Ronaldo said he has welcomed approaches by representatives of candidate Juan
Miguel Villar Mir aimed at persuading him to join the nine-time European
champion.

"I have told my agent that I would like to leave. I want to do so in the best
way possible. I want to play for Madrid and I dream about it," Ronaldo said in
an interview with leading sports daily Marca published on Tuesday.

Manchester United denied it gave Villar Mir permission to speak to Ronaldo and
dismissed the reports as "a common occurrence in elections" at Madrid.

"There has been no contact between Manchester United and (Villar Mir's)
election team or Real Madrid, and any suggestion there has been is incorrect,"
a statement from the club said Tuesday. "Cristiano Ronaldo will be a Manchester
United player next season."

A move would depend on United releasing the Portuguese winger from a contract
which runs until 2010.

Ronaldo said he had been impressed by Villar Mir -- a 74-year-old lawyer who
was Spain's finance minister from 1975-76 and Madrid's vice president in the
1990s -- and his running mate, rally driver Carlos Sainz.

"They have explained their sports project and the next step is for them to talk
to Manchester United to negotiate and when they reach an agreement, then we
will look at my situation and my contract," the 21-year-old added.

Villar Mir confirmed Tuesday that he wanted to sign Ronaldo.

"With Cristiano Ronaldo everything is true ... It's true that we are always
acting with respect to FIFA regulations. Manchester knows we are talking to
him. We are going in through the front door," Villar Mir was quoted as saying
by news agency Europe Press.

Marca, citing TV station Antena 3, said Villar Mir has promised Ronaldo a
four-year contract and an annual salary of euro4 million (US$5 million).

Villar Mir, who will reportedly appoint Arsenal's Arsene Wenger in the twin
roles of coach and director of soccer if victorious, is standing against four
other candidates in the poll of some 65,000 club members.

Ronaldo, who is hoping to recover from injury in time for Portugal's World Cup
quarterfinal against England on Saturday, said he has also been approached by
several Madrid hopefuls.

Other candidates "wanted me to sign a document and this would be against my
club, Manchester United. This isn't legal and I would never do it. Both Villar
Mir and Carlos Sainz have promised that they would talk to the club," Ronaldo
said.

Ronaldo joined United from Sporting Lisbon in 2003 and was handed the number
seven shirt vacated by David Beckham, who left the English club for Madrid
several months earlier.

Madrid's election will select a replacement for Fernando Martin, who was forced
to resign in April, two months after being selected by his predecessor,
Florentino Perez.

Perez quit in February after 5 1/2 years due to Madrid's failure to win a
trophy since 2003. The last time the team went three years without a major
honor was in the early 1950s.'

---------------------------------
[23] United end further Ronaldo-Madrid talk
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, June 27, 2006 by ed:
after issuing the statement (see earlier) say

"We will not be drawn further on this matter."

---------------------------------
[22] Hamburg deny Ruud interest
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, June 27, 2006 by ed:
Hamburg spokesman Jorn Wolf

"There is nothing at all to this. There have not been contacts with the player,
nor, as was said, did we order cars for him."

---------------------------------
[21] United hit back
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, June 27, 2006 by ed:
from official site

'United are “astonished” at comments from Juan Miguel Villar Mir, a Real Madrid
presidential candidate, claiming he is in talks with the club over a deal to
take Cristiano Ronaldo to the Bernabeu.

Spanish newspaper Marca carried quotes from the United winger claiming a deal
would be done to take the 21-year-old to the Santiago Bernabeu if Juan Miguel
Villar Mir is voted in.

However, a known political tactic in the past has been for presidential
candidates to promise big-name signings.

On Tuesday Villar Mir claimed the reports were true, saying: "With Cristiano
Ronaldo it's all correct, as he himself has recognised. We are acting by
respecting the norms of FIFA. Manchester know that we are talking to him."

United immediately countered Villar Mir’s remarks, unequivocally denying being
in talks over a deal for the 21-year-old.

"Manchester United is astonished with Villar Mir comments," the club said in a
statement.

"There has been no contact between Manchester United, his election team and or
Real Madrid and any suggestion there has is incorrect.

"Unfortunately these tactics seem to be a common occurrence in elections of
this nature.

"Ronaldo has signed a long term contract until June 2010 and will be a player
with Manchester United next season."

For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/GtUolB/TM