In part Steve and I agree, as he states the main question as well as I’ve tried to do.  Where did all the matter/energy come from that went into the big bang?  Is there any evidence that life forms started with the some accidental interaction between energy and matter?  Science has no clue.  That’s not to demean the value of scientific information about the developmental processes.  Indeed, once one gets past the critical starting points, “a lot more than nothing” is an understatement.  My point is simply that one cannot infer from the incredibly interesting and valuable information science provides that science has information about beginnings, and in teaching science that needs to be made quite clear.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steven Jamar
Sent:
Tuesday, March 16, 2004 10:05 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: NRO Article

Hmm. Science does provide lots of information about origins and about how processes began. Except for the answer to "Why is there anything instead of nothing?" We can't yet look behind the big bang. But we understand chemistry pretty well. And how it "began". And we understand aspects of life and how it began - albeit with a lot more hypothesis and less proof than in the case of chemistry. It is wrong to say "no scientific information, however, exists about how these processes began." Scientific information is not the same as scientific proof or irrefutable proof. But we know a lot more than nothing.

Steve