Two quick related points and then back to work:

1.  Paul's claim was that neither a compelling nor a rational basis existed
to deny same sex couples the right to marry.  I proposed two theories which
substantiate a rational basis for denying legal recognition to same sex
marriages based upon protecting the welfare of children.  Paul points out
that the harm to children which might stem from same sex marriages is also
caused by other sources.  While that is true, the fact that other things
also cause these negative effects does not eliminate the state's rational
basis justification to avoid creating additional sources of these same
harms, or, more particularly, to not provide incentives to create the family
arrangements which may lead to these negative effects.

2.  This point is more of a quibble, actually.  The law does not currently
"prohibit[] [same sex families] from forming."  Instead, it denies legal
(not social) recognition to same sex families.  Put another way, the state
denies various incentivies to same sex families, and provides various
incentives to heterosexual, two parent families.  All things being equal,
many studies indicate that children with married heterosexual parents
consistently do better in every measure of well-being than their peers who
have single, cohabiting, divorced or step-parents, and this is a stronger
indicator than parental race, economic status, educational status, or
neighborhood of the ultimate welfare of a child. Again, then, doesn't a
rational basis exist for the government to offer incentives for people to
form the type of family unit that is most likely to protect the welfare of
children?

Gene Summerlin
Ogborn Summerlin & Ogborn P.C.
210 Windsor Place