I've always been puzzled about this "quid pro quo" theory of the Religion Clauses.
There is no "religion as a source of values and beliefs"; there are *religions* (or
denominations) as a source of values and beliefs.  Many of them may share many values,
but they will also differ on many values and goals.  The members of the religions will
be different, too.  True, there are some cultural battles in which secularists are
aligned on one side and religious observers of many faiths on another.  But those are
only a small fraction of all potential battles over values and beliefs, it seems to
me; and even in those, a person's religious denomination is likely to be as important
as his felt religiosity.

Is there much reason to believe that the religions -- or, perhaps more importantly,
religious believers -- benefited by rigorous Free Exercise Clause protection will be
the same as the ones burdened by a rigorously enforced Establishment Clause?
Historically, Catholics have been quite burdened by a rigorous Establishment Clause,
and have gotten very few benefits from the Free Exercise Clause, even when it was
relatively rigorous.  (They might have gotten some benefits from religious
accommodations, such as the sacramental wine exemption, but not from the Free Exercise
Clause as such.)  On the other hand, the Amish have gotten some benefits from a
rigorous Free Exercise Clause, but it's not clear that they have been much burdened by
the Establishment Clause, even when it was relatively rigorous.

I'm not even sure that the benefits of a rigorous Free Exercise Clause and the burdens
imposed by a rigorous Establishment Clause will even out if you aggregate the effects
on all the religions.  But I don't see how such an aggregation would be proper.  Or am
I mistaken?

Eugene

Alan Brownstein writes:

There are two religion clauses.
They should not be interpreted in isolation from each other without regard
to their impact on religion as a source of values and beliefs and as a
cultural and political influence on society. Proponents of a rigorously
enforced Establishment clause ought to recognize the limits placed on
religion by this mandate and should support rigorous free exercise
protection for religious institutions and practice. Similarly, proponents
of a vigorously enforced free exercise jurisprudence should appreciate the
advantages constitutional protection provides and accept Establishment
Clause restrictions on the state promotion of religion. That's only part of
the picture in interpreting the religion clauses, but it is certainly an
important part.