Title: Message
    I wouldn't say hypocrisy -- I'd just say that it's easy even for well-meaning people to (1) see the conduct of those they oppose as wrong and even unconstitutional, and think that this is so for some objective, nonpolitical reason, but (2) then to think better of the matter when they see similar conduct shorn of their strong political disagreement with the actor or the actor's proposed policies.  I know this has often happened to me; that's why considering situations where the political polarity is reversed is often helpful.

    But as to Marc's suggestion, I don't quite see why the distinction he proposes makes a difference.  Say that the stories read "Vice President Gore today called on church leaders to join with the administration in 'healing our land,' and to ask ministers in their churches to do the same," or "Mr. Clinton called on religious leaders to put the heat on Congress to approve the funding, and to work through their ministers and congregations to turn up the heat," or "Clinton called on the religious leaders . . . to rededicate themselves and their churches to ethnic diversity and religious freedom, by urging their ministers to educate their congregations about the importance of ethnic diversity and religious freedom."  Would that really change the constitutional analysis?

    More broadly, when you seek political allies among leaders of any organization, you often don't just want the leaders' voice -- you also want the leaders to bring with them their followers, and their subordinate leaders.  That makes perfect sense, and seems perfectly proper.  If Clinton had asked the national leaders of any other hierarchical group -- say, an environmental group whose local branches were closely integrated with the center -- to push for some measure, and to get their local branch leaders to do the same, I doubt that we would call it "interfer[ing] with the inner workings of a [political group]."  We'd just call it asking the national leaders to bring their entire organization to bear on an important political, moral, or social debate.  Likewise, it seems to me, here.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of marc stern
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 10:24 AM
To: 'Law & Religion issues for Law Academics'
Subject: RE: The President and the Pope

I agree with Eugene’s implicit suggestion that there is a fair amount of hypocrisy at work here. Nevertheless, is it not possible to distinguish what Bush did, which was to interfere with the inner workings of a church(by suggesting that the Vatican ought to get its bishop’s in line),rather than publicly calling on church leaders to join in some public campaign?

Marc Stern