[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
        Was the omission of any mention of God in the Constitution an issue discussed during the ratification debates? Is there literature discussing whether this omission was used as an argument against ratifying the Constitution? Thanks.

Yes and yes. Kramnick and Moore (The Godless Constitution) discuss the issue at great length and quote extensively from sermons, speeches and articles at the time. There were, as I recall, multiple attempts to amend the document to rectify that situation, all of which failed. For many conservative Christians at the time, the lack of mention of God in the Constitution would bring down His wrath upon us. Patrick Henry, if I recall correctly, was among the men making that argument.

Ed Brayton
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.