Mr. New's analysis of the the "first" New Hampshire constitution is terribly misleading.  That document was very short, about 2 printed pages single spaced, and set up what can only be described as an "interim" Constitution.  Moreover, it was not clear at the time that NH had any authority to do this at all, since it was written *before* the the Declaration of Independence, so in fact, the state had no authority to declare independence through a constitution.  But, that aside, the first Constitution for NH was short and dealt only with basid political organization.

The more important document is the New Hampshire of 1784.  That Constitution established church and that esablishment existed into the 1870s or beyond.  The 1902 --YES *1902* -- that is not a type --Constitution provides "for the support and maintenance of public Protestant teachers of piety, religion, and morality." (Part First, Bill of Rights, Art. 6). The same clause allows for freedom of worship for "every denomination of Christians, demeaning themselves quietly and as good subjects of the state."  So much for Jews, Moslems (there were Moslem immigrants coming in significant numbers by this time) or for that matter, perhaps some boisterous Protestants.  (this language was also in the 1784 Constitution.

This is important because Mr. New is making the disingenuous and completely misleading argument that at the founding NH had an establishment, but did not mention religion in its Constitution..  This is not so.  The 1784 Constitution, with a number of references to God and religion, was in place when the Constitution was written.

As for Mr. New's "believe"  ("I think...") there are a number of very significant historians who have spent years studying these issues who would dispute his simplistic notions of what the framers "acknowledged."  Moreover, what they meant by "God" might be quite different from what we mean today.  I am also uncertain what in fact he means witht the sentence:  "I think there is no question that the framers of the U.S. Constitution acknowledged God."  Does he mean individual framers believed in God.  Well sure!  No one doubts that. (althought some like Franklin were diests, which would mean their belief in "God" was not what most religious people would accept); but if he thinks they acknowledged "God" in the Constitution he must be working with a different set of standards for historical analysis than I learned when I got my Ph.D.

David W. New wrote:
I think contemporary historians read too much in the fact that the word
 "God" does not appear in the U.S. Constitution.  It is true that most early
state constitutions had a lot to say about God and religion generally.  The
Massachusetts Constitution of 1780 is a good example of this.  But some did
not.  For example, most historians agree that New Hampshire had an
established religion until 1817.  However, the first state Constitution of
New Hampshire did not use the word "God" at all nor did it have anything to
say about religion generally-- even though it had an established religion.
I think there is no question that the framers of the U.S. Constitution
acknowledged God.  I cite George Washington's very first proclamation as
President of the United States on October 3, 1789. As you know, George
Washington was President of the constitutional convention. Here is the
opening sentence of the Proclamaiton: "Whereas it is the duty of all nations
to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be
grateful for His benefits..."  I have written an article "Where is God in
the Constitution?" If you wish, please enter the title on Google and you may
read it at your leisure.  I explain why the word "God" does not appear in
the Preamble or in the First Amendment. I like the discussion.

David W. New, Esq.
Washington, D.C.
202-333-2678.