Volokh, Eugene wrote:

        I've heard various people mention that George Washington added
"so help me God" to the constitutionally prescribed, which is "I do
solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of
President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability,
preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
Some use it as evidence for the propriety of religious references in
government affairs; others stress that "so help me God" isn't actually a
part of the official oath, and the frequent inclusion of "so help me
God" is the Presidents' own detour and frolic.

        Here's my question:  In the late 1700s, did people who said
oaths (as opposed to affirmations) routinely include "so help me God" or
some such, simply because that was seen as a natural part of oaths?  If
so, then it might be that the Framers naturally expected that those who
see an oath as a religiously significant matter would include "so help
me God."

Speaking solely as someone who's studied (albeit informally) Elizabethan dialect, I can say that oaths invoking the name of G-d (for our Jewish friends) were extremely common, as well as the name of Mary and various saints. So common, in fact, that the so-called "Pilgrims" were often offended as they say it as taking the name of the Lord in vain. Swearing on the blood of Christ gave us the common English oath "bloody". Read Shakespeare. "Marry" was a variation on Mary. This was before the standardization of spelling. While I am no expert, it makes sense that oaths given for public office were viewed as having religious significance by individuals. Hence the addition of "So help me God". I'd lean toward the explaination that such oaths were individual peccadillos, and not something required by the office.
Jean Dudley
Somewhere in the wilds of Yosemite Valley