Jim:

I am surprised you cannot understand how executing people based on Biblical Law might be seen as "religious strife."   Similarly, the taking of farm animals to destory them because they were "contaminated" by Granger might lead to religious strife.  Yes, the Turkeys were not private property so that might not lead to religious strife, per se, but it does indicate the dangers of allowing religious law to regulate civil society. And that, is what the establishment clause is all about.

Paul Finkelman