Eugene:

My point was a serious one about how one organizes a course, and reminder that when people teach a course to argue for a viewpoint and to ignore other information it undermines academic integrity. The fact is this: a "History of the Influence of Christianity in American history" taught in a fundamentalist Christian school would not likely teach many of the topics I suggested; most American history coursres would teach a number of them, as well as teach about Puritans, the two great awakenings, the role of religious people in the antislavery movement and the civil rights movement.

If Rick wants to play the list game, I think it only fair to explore the issue.

Paul Finkelman

Volokh, Eugene wrote:
Folks: I'm sure that people on this list would be able to compile lists of the great sins of atheists and atheistic regimes; of Muslims; of Jews; of Catholics; of Protestants; and more. They would also be able to compile lists of the good things that each of those groups have done. Whether religion (or irreligion) generally, or certain denominations in particular, are on balance malign or benign influences on the nation is a topic that has been debated for centuries, and has filled volumes. It can easily fill days and days of list discussion, too, should people choose to embark on it. But do we really think that posting such lists -- no matter how much the post may entertain the author -- will be helpful to thoughtful, reasoned list discussion of the law of government and religion? The list custodian

    Paul Finkelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        Dear Rick:

        I would assume that UC has equivalent courses such as "History of
        Christianity"; "Renaissance/Reformation" and a number of early
        modern
        European courses and late antiquity courses that deal almost
        entirely
        with the Church and Church history. There are probably courses
        on the
        Bible taught in various departments at UC as they are in most
        universities. Moreover, the history of religion pops up all over
        the
        place. When I used to teach US Survery in a history department I
        always
        spent at least a week on the Puritans and assigned a book about
        them.
        My discussion of 19th century reform movements included a good
        deal on
        the 2nd great awakening; I always had a lecture on the 1st great
        awkening in a survey course. Every colonial history course I
        ever took
        (or knew of) had a huge section on religion. In anything,
        colonialists
        probably spend too much time on the Puritans.

        Furthermore, I would imagine that a great number of the courses
        below
        would have content about Christians and Christianity, including
        "Storytelling," "Gender, Sexuality, and Identity in Literature,"
        (lots
        of interesting religious issues there, from the problem of guilt to
        fundamentalist hombophobia) "Jewish History," (had to teach it
        without
        discussing Christianity); Turning Points in Jewish History (same
        comment); Issues in African History (from Missionaries to Bishop
        Tutu it
        will show up); Holocaust Literature, Islam, etc. will all have to
        discuss Christianity and its relationship to other faiths and
        events.

        I think a course on the "Influence of Christianity in the US"
        would be
        interesting and certainly valid. Such a course would lectures and
        readings on the following (in no particular order):

        The KKK (and the use of the Cross as a symbol of terrorism and
        hatred;
        Christian "identity" movements in the last 25 years
        Father Coughlin's antisemitism
        The hanging of witches in Salem and Quakers in Boston
        The use of Christian theology to defend (as well as attack) slavery
        The use of conversion of slaves to help prevent resistance to
        slavery
        Ownership of slaves by churches
        The utter failure of the Protestant Churches in the South to the
        take a
        strong stand in favor of legalizing slave marriages
        The persecution of Mormons and the murder of Joseph Smith
        The death penalty (fortunately reduced to exile) for a Jew in
        colonial
        Maryland because he denied the divinity of Christ
        The whipping and jailing of Baptist ministers in Virginia in the
        Revolutionary period.
        The intellectual intolerance of the 1920s (and more recent
        periods) by
        prohibiting the teaching of evolution in the public schools
        The forced reading of Protestant version of the Bible imposed on
        Catholics in the 19th century
        The a! ttacks on Al Smith's presidential campaign (and also
        attack on John
        F. Kennedy) because they were Catholic.
        The strong stand against integration taken by virtually ever
        southern
        Christian minister in the 1950s and early 1960s.
        The influence of religious groups in undermining Indian culture and
        religion and forcing Indian children not to learn their own
        language.
        The use of Protestant theology (and the influence of Christian
        leaders)
        to justify wars against Indians, particularly in the colonial
        period.

        Yes, it would be a great course; I would love to teach it.

        Paul Finkelman
-- Paul Finkelman
        Chapman Distinguished Professor
        University of Tulsa College of Law
        3120 East 4th Place
        Tulsa, Oklahoma 74104-2499

        918-631-3706 (office)
        918-631-2194 (fax)

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Rick Duncan wrote:
> [...]
        encourage you to
         > do so. Although UC denied approval to courses concerning
         > "Christianity's Influence on American History" and
        "Christianity and
         > Morality in American Literature" as being too narrow and not
        consistent
         > "with knowledge generally accepted in the collegiate
        community," at the
         > same time it approved courses such as these:
         >
         > Social Commentary in Popular Music
         > Baseball, Literature and Culture
         > Sports Fiction/Non Fiction
         > Storytelling
         > The Roots of Rock Music ("yeah, yeah, yeah")
         > Gender Roles in Literature
         > Ethnic Experience in Literature
         > Gender, Sexuality, and Identity in Literature
         > Literature of the Counterculture
         > Literature from the 60's Movement
         > Filipino Heritage Studies
         > Intro to Rabbinic Literature
         > Jewish History
         > Turning Poi! nts in Jewish History
         > Issues in African History
         > Raza Studies
         > History of India
         > Mexican History
         > Modern Irish History
         > Asian Literature
         > Holocaust Literature
         > Chicano Literature
         > Beat Literature (like, cool, man!)
         > Women's Literature
         > Intro to Buddhism
         > Islam
         >
         > And the beat goes on. There were many similar courses that were
         > also approved.
         >
         > Now these facts are from the complaint. UC may reply that it
        has not
         > approved Beat Literature or Baseball Literature or the other
         > narrow courses from specialized points of view. But if these
        are the
         > facts. this case looks very much like the kind of religious
        gerrymander
         > we saw in Lukumi where a person could kill an animal for
        almost any
         > reason except religious ritual. And it also looks like the
        kind of
         > subjective, individualized, discretionary procedures that
        trigger ! strict
         > scrutiny under Sherbert and the individualized process rule.
         >
         > I have only glanced at the 108-page complaint, but it sure
        looks to me
         > like the Pls have a strong claim of viewpoint and religious
         > discrimination. Indeed, there seems to be at least a
        possibility of
         > denominational discrimination in the approval process. It
        would not
         > surprise me at all if UC settles this one as quickly and
        quietly as
         > possible.
         >
         > Rick Duncan
         >

         > Rick Duncan
         > Welpton Professor of Law
         > University of Nebraska College of Law
         > Lincoln, NE 68583-0902
         >
         > "When the Round Table is broken every man must follow either
        Galahad or
         > Mordred: middle things are gone." C.S.Lewis, Grand Miracle
         >
         > "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,
        debriefed, or
         > numbered." --The Prisoner

         > http://mail.yahoo.com

         > Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be
        viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read
        messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and
        list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to
        others.

    <http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/>