Paul: I condemn acts of bigotry directed at Jewish students (or at any student regardless of their faith). That is clear and unambiguous.

The question of sharing Christ and His salvation with non-Christians, however,  is not an act of anti-Semitism. Indeed, if a person believes that Hell is real and there is only one way to be saved, that person would be guilty of anti-Semitism if he or she refrained from sharing the good news with his or her Jewish classmates. Of course, once your friend says "no, thanks," you should not harass or in any way impose your beliefs on the unwilling listener. But respectful sharing of the Gospel is not anti-Semitic behavior.

As you know, I don't like public schools. I wish we had school choice. But if we are going to effectively force 85% of our children to attend public schools, one of the consequences of that decision is that children will be exposed to ideas that they (or their parents) don't like. Whether it is hip hop music, discussions about the latest sexual exploits of the Desperate Housewives, or the Gospel of Jesus Christ, our kids will be exposed to new ideas that challenge what they are taught at home. And often on this list I am told that that is one of the blessings of public education-- it is good that we learn from and about others with different beliefs and different cultures and different notions of the good life.

If you force Christian kids to attend public schools by means of the monopoly of funding, then you must accept that some of them will share Jesus with their non-Christian friends, not because they hate their friends, but because they love them and care about them. For many Christians, the public schools are a missions field and they (the Christian students) are missionaries following the Great Commission.

Rick Duncan

Paul Finkelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The student who had the door slammed in her face told me and others in
our Temple; her family is the only Jewish family in the school (outside
of Tulsa) and her parents did not dare allow the community relations
council in our larger community to intervene for fear their daughter
might be harmed. In other schools there have been concerted efforts by a
few evangelical churches to convert Jewish kids, bothering them
(harassing them?). THe kids doing the converting get special training
from their church. No offence to anyone out there, but I think it is
blatantly Anti-Semitic when someone sets up a plan to convert Jewish
kids in school. Similarly, my daughter was told by a private pre-school
(called the Little Lighthouse) for disabled kids that while she could
volunteer there (she did for three years and won an award from the city
! as volunteer of the year!) they would not hire her because of her
religion. Does that count as blatant anti-Semitism? Six years ago
someone interrupted our Yom Kippur services by standing in the back of
our Temple and shouting out that we should accept Jesus. We declined,
and the local prosecutor unfortunately declined to consider charging him
with any crime.

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor

918! -631-3706 (office)
918-631-2194 (fax)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.

Rick Duncan
Welpton Professor of Law
University of Nebraska College of Law
Lincoln, NE 68583-0902

"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow either Galahad or Mordred: middle things are gone." C.S.Lewis, Grand Miracle

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered." --The Prisoner