Some of the listmembers seem to be losing sight of the fact that the judge wrote his opinion after a bench trial. It's completely appropriate for the trier of fact to state conclusions about the credibility of the witnesses and the motivations of various characters in the underlying events. I did, however, think it went too far for the judge to express moral outrage about the inconsistency between purporting to be religious and then lying and deceiving the court. The judge called that ironic, which is rather amusing, because one could say he was making a religious judgment -- quite ironically! He should keep his opinions secular, I should think.

Ann