From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Scarberry, Mark
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 1:04 PM
To: 'Law & Religion issues for Law Academics'
Subject: RE: Dover Intelligent-Design Case

I haven't yet read the opinion, and will reserve judgment about whether the judge's language shows bias. I do think, however, that it is improper for a judge to accuse elected officials of "activism," as this judge did. There is nothing wrong with elected officials being activists, whatever that term may mean, and whether or not we believe judges should be activists. Even if we might think Hamilton's view of the need for an "energetic executive" goes too far in taking power from the legislative branch - and thus might think that the executive may at times be improperly activist - here the officials in effect were the legislature for the school district. By charging the school board with activism, the judge has, in a small way, helped to undermine the people's understanding of how government should work.

Mark S. Scarberry

Pepperdine University School of Law