The backstory:
According to press accounts, each year the seniors at Russell County High
School elect a "class chaplain" (this year, Megan Chapman) who gives the prayer
at graduation. A student filed suit to stop the prayer. Hearing about the suit,
the seniors (apparently following the advice of Liberty Counsel) re-elected
Chapman the day before graduation to give a "message." The judge was apparently
not impressed by the switch and ordered school officials and the student not to
include a prayer in the ceremony. That led to the protest by 200 seniors during
the event. According to the news account in the Courier-Journal, Chapman did
give a speech in which she spoke of her faith in God and urged her classmates
to trust in God.

In my view, the original arrangement (seniors elect a chaplain to give a
prayer) is unconstitutional (Santa Fe). The alternative -- the selection of a
student to give a message -- is the advice given by groups like Liberty Counsel
(relying on Adler) -- and close to the advice given in the U.S. Dept. of
Education guidelines (2003). The fact that the students (perhaps encouraged by
school officials) tried to change from "prayer" to "message" at the last minute
undermines the charge by Chapman/Liberty Counsel that her speech rights were
violated by the judge's order.

It seems to me that the protest by the 200 students (and the standing ovation
from the crowd) was all about the what they believe to be the "right" of the
majority to impose prayer (their prayer) on everyone else at the graduation. It
is not enough that Chapman was free to express her personal religious views in
her speech or that they could have as much prayer as they wish at a
privately-sponsored baccalaureate. They want the kind of Christian prayer that
has been offered at graduation in Russell County for years. This conflict isn't
about "free speech" or even a 60-second prayer; it's about who gets to define
what kind of nation we are.
Charles Haynes
First Amendment Center