So, can we expect this "protest" to become a tradition at this and other schools? And what will school officials do when muslim students decide to sing the call to prayer during the ceremony? Or when atheists decide they need to be heard? On what grounds will the school threaten to stifle any spontaneous speech _expression_ if they refuse to curtail this? it's not about religious _expression_, this incident, it's about schools having the right and responsibility to maintain discipline and order ton conduct their activities--the same reason that restricting a student from disrupting algebra class by standing up and reciting a prayer aloud isn't a violation of his constitutional rights.

Surely, Rick, you don't suggest the school system begin condoning certain religious acts of protest but not others? I'm sure the school had policies and punishments in place to address this kind of disruption. They should not pick and choose when to apply those regulations based on their level of agreement with the religious speech in question. And, seriously, you think a school system should sanction a process in which a majority religion gets to elect a graduation "chaplain" for the purposes of giving the graduation prayer??

As for how you restrict these kinds of activities, ask the valedictorian in Gallatin, TN... he insisted on being heard at his graduation ceremony, which did not allow for a valedictorian speech. He now faces disorderly conduct charges and is having his diploma withheld. Why is this case any different?