I agree that the danger to infants from full immersion baptism is very
low and perhaps zero; the hypothetical was that it happened in "a handful of
cases," but I think that's just a hypothetical.  As to what burdens the
government imposes to avoid "a handful" of deaths of infants, I think that
varies from context to context.  My sense is that there are quite a few safety
regulations -- though generally not total bans -- that are indeed justified by
the desire to avoid just a handful of deaths.

        On the other hand, circumcision involves not a very low risk of death,
but a certainty of loss of part of the body, which in turn involves an
uncertain possible health benefit and an unknown (and likely very hard to
quantify) possibility of loss of some sexual function.  That might well be a
materially higher aggregate loss of utility, to borrow the economic term, than
the loss of utility from playing football, even in Texas.  Or it might not;
again, much depends on the facts.