Yes, I'm feeling some of the same confusion as Paul.

I don't know much at all about family law.  But my understanding was that
the "best interest of the child" standard was emphatically not the
standard for judicial or legislative interference with parental decisions.
It is the standard for what happens to the child when custody is disputed
among divorcing or divorced parents.   But I thought the standard for
interfering with an intact family was much higher-a showing of unfitness,
of child abuse or neglect.  Before this conversation, I assumed that
unless circumcision constitutes abuse or neglect, parents have the right
to do it to their children, with talk of "best interests" being
irrelevant.  Another way of putting it is that the law presumes parents
act in the best interests of the children, a presumption that only gets
overridden in exceptional situations, a constitutional presumption under
the Troxel line of cases.

So have I gotten this completely wrong?

Best,

Chris