I agree with Chris entirely when it comes to questions having
to do with what to teach the child, whom to expose the child to, where to live
with the child, and similar child-rearing questions:  There, in an intact
family, a court may not intrude simply on the grounds that some other form of
child-rearing - or some other set of child-rearers - would be more in the
child's best interests, but must show parental unfitness.

                But when it comes to physical injury to the child, or danger of
physical injury, many rules restrain parents without a showing of parental
unfitness.  I don't think that driving a child without a child safety seat is a
mark of parental unfitness; the risk to the child is fairly low, and I don't
think parents should lose custody of their children for this.  Yet the law may
require parents to use child safety seats.  Likewise, having a child work
before a certain age might not be a mark of parental unfitness, but it is
forbidden.

                Likewise, my sense is that many states, including my own
California, outlaw the tattooing of minors (see, e.g., Cal. Penal Code sec.
653), which interferes with parents' ability to get their children tattooed.  I
don't think the rationale is that a parent who authorizes such a tattoo is an
"unfit parent" - just that when it comes to sufficiently substantial
alterations of a person's body, and absent a medical reason (there is a medical
exemption to the California law, by the way), those alterations should only
happen with that person's consent, which can only be meaningfully given if the
person is an adult.

                So I certainly don't think that the law generally mandates a
"best interests of the child" standard, outside the child custody context.  But
I also don't think that the law generally mandates an "unfitness [or] child
abuse or neglect" standard, when it comes to decisions that involve physical
injury or threat of injury (and I mean "injury" here to include physical
alterations, such as tattoos).

                Eugene