From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of wlind...@verizon.net
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 11:02 AM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: RE: Parental rights and physical conduct

 But that is invoking a non-Jewish standard of "Jewishness" (and I speak as
someone intensely exasperated by refusal to acknowledge any distinction between
"ethnic" and "religious" Jewishness.*) Someone can say "I spit on G_d, I spit
on Torah, I spit on halakhah."; He can spend Sabbath behind a desk, and never
have seen the inside of a synagogue. No one will say "You aren't Jewish'. All
that matters is who his mother was. And yes,  I am acutely aware of the
cognitive dissonance in play when as soon as someone says "I believe in Jesus",
it suddenly ceases to matter who his mother  was (and the israeli courts will
say so officially in applying the Law of Return.)

   (* not to mention the frustration of being "Jewish" enough for any real
anti-Semites, but not for "the" Jews.)

On 07/05/12, Volokh, Eugene<vol...@law.ucla.edu<mailto:vol...@law.ucla.edu>>