I have no doubt that Steve is accurately reporting his own experience, but I
still don't see why it should add up to a confidentiality privilege.

sandy

From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Steven Jamar
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2013 9:38 PM
To: Law Religion & Law List
Subject: Re: The clergy-penitent privilege and burdens on third parties

I disagree with Eugene on this - as a non-religious athiest, I have met many
ministers and priests with whom I have had excellent conversations, some even
"confessional" or at least very candid and have been given advice, even by
priests, which was insightful and helpful and respectful of me.  They did not
try to get me to do "hail Marys" or whatevers and did not speak to me in
"religious" speech.  I have dealt with others whose only aim was indeed to
convert me.

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                     vox:  202-806-8017
Director of International Programs, Institute for Intellectual Property and

"The aim of education must be the training of independently acting and thinking
individuals who, however, see in the service to the community their highest
life achievement."

Albert Einstein

On Dec 5, 2013, at 5:16 PM, Volokh, Eugene