That may well be with respect to passive displays; probably not with respect
to live speakers.

But I inadvertently misled by talking about endorsement. The question under
discussion was whether allowing one group and only one group to erect a
display on government property makes it government speech. The answer to
that is still yes. The nativity scene put up by the preferred group becomes
government speech, even if the endorsement test is overruled and that speech
becomes permissible.

If the nativity scene were private speech, there would be obvious viewpoint
discrimination and a Speech Clause violation. It becomes permissible only if
it is government speech -- and then only if government is permitted to
endorse the truth claims of a particular faith.  These are two different
issues.

Douglas Laycock

Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law

University of Virginia Law School

580 Massie Road

Charlottesville, VA  22903

     434-243-8546