Doug is absolutely correct here.

The Govt wins if this is government speech and the Ten C display does not
violate the EC, either because a majority decides the endorsement test does not
apply or, if it does apply, the display does not amount to an endorsement of
religion (perhaps a majority may conclude that the purpose and effect do not
endorse religion, but merely recognize the historical significance of the Ten
Commandments in the local community).

If this is some kind of forum for private speech--even if it is a non-public
forum--Pl wins if this amounts to viewpoint discrimination. But if it is a
non-public forum, and the restriction amounts to content or speaker but not
viewpoint discrimination, the Govt will win if the content or speaker exclusion
is reasonable. So a policy that allows local groups with longstanding ties to
the community preferential access, if used to exclude an outside group with
minimal ties to the community, may be permissible in a non-public forum.

I think this is correct. No?

Rick Duncan
Welpton Professor of Law
University of Nebraska College of Law
Lincoln, NE 68583-0902

My recent article, Just Another Brick in the Wall: The Establishment Clause as
a Heckler's Veto, is available at SSRN

"And against the constitution I have never raised a storm,It's the scoundrels
who've corrupted it that I want to reform" --Dick Gaughan (from the song,
Thomas Muir of Huntershill)