Sorry to come late to the discussion. I have not read the transcript, and these comments are in response to two points made in the discussion.

1. Smith as a scandal. Strong language, and while I agree with one's right to use such language, I find that the failure to consider the other side is unfortunate. A great thing about freedom of religion is that, implemented well, it enables people with wildly different views to live together peaceably. Thus general laws that are not targeted to religion should apply to all although limited accommodation may not matter too much. But when religious people may violate general laws that non-religious people or people with different religious views may not violate there is a clear preference for religion over non-religion and one religion over another. One might usefully discuss what "practice of religion" means, but I have some doubts that it includes interfering with another's legal rights because their exercise of those rights departs from your deeply felt religious beliefs. And yes, I do understand that some religions have absolutist tenets to prevent doctrinal violations by non-believers, but clearly we cannot live in a society in which a religious doctrine requiring the elimination of infidels gives rise to a "get-out-of-jail-free card."

2. I agree with Marty that the Court should decide these cases by holding that there is not substantial burden on the owners of Hobby Lobby and Conestoga, but for the reason that their asserted violation of their religious principles is too attenuated to be "substantial." To say that their claims of substantial burden are either correct or that the Court may not inquire into the substantiality of beliefs would give rise to the widespread use of religion to exempt people from general laws, resulting in a preference for religion over non-religion and a preference for one religion over another. And that would give rise to the very dissension and resentment that the religion clauses should prevent.

3. As a general matter I think that experts in constitutional law have some obligation to examine both sides of Supreme Court opinions. That does not prevent one from asserting that one side is right or wrong, but to denigrate opinions as scandalous is the kind of overstatement that undermines respect for the Court and serves to make the enforcement of rights against the majority view more difficult. In the light of the facts of these ACA cases I cannot help but wonder whether some of those who supported RFRA now regret that support. The characterization of Smith by many reminds me of the popular treatment of Citizens United backed up by the criticism of many Con Law scholars. As a teenager I firmly supported the rights of Communists to speak as being protected by the first amendment. I find the denigration of Citizens United seems based on a very different interpretation of the first amendment than the interpretation I had as a teenager and I think that it enhances a view among some members of the public that corporations in general are bad and therefore may be silenced during political campaigns.

                                                               Jon

On 2014-03-26 07:44, Marty Lederman wrote:
Thanks very much to everyone for the responses.  Some follow-ups:

1.  Most importantly, in response to Alan, the less-restrictive
"solution" that appeared to have some traction with the Justices was
_not_ simply that the government could in theory pay for the services
(with single-payer or a new tax scheme, for instance).  Such a
holding would be a radical deviation from decades of decisions -- Lee
and Tony & Susan Alamo would have come out differently, for
instance.  And the SG would and should have resisted that idea
strenuously, as he has done, in his briefs.

The argument, instead, is that once the agency has _already_ offered
an alternative (here, the "Notre Dame" solution) to a certain subset
of objectors (nonprofits) -- thereby demonstrating that that
alternative is viable for at least a certain group -- it has to treat
other religious objectors the same, unless there is good reason to
treat them differently.  This is, in effect, merely _O Centro _all
over again (recall that the government had no good reason for treating
hoasca differently from peyote).  As the SG indicated in his answers
to questions about the secondary accommodation, there _might _be such
a good reason for disparate treatment here:  For instance, extending
the accommodation to for-profit corporations _might _be far more
costly to the government than if it is limited to nonprofits,
depending on how many for-profit objectors are self-insured and use
third-party administrators.  (In such cases, the government
effectively picks up the tab by giving credits to the TPAs.)  Because
these plaintiffs have not asked for that remedy, there hasnt been any
occasion for the government to estimate such costs yet.  But if it
turns out that most for-profits use issuers (such as Aetna), or if
very few for-profits with self-insured plans would invoke the
accommodation, then perhaps the government would have no good basis
for refusing to extend the secondary accommodation to for-profits.

Of course, Greg Lipper is right that the Justices would hardly be
inclined to settle upon this solution if it would not resolve the RFRA
claims -- if the for-profit cases would simply slide on over into the
Notre Dame column, and remain unresolved.  But presumably, if they
embrace this compromise, they will signal (or even hold) that the
Notre Dame-like claims are meritless.  (Thats another virtue of this
solution -- it would take care of all the outstanding cases.)

2.  As for the possibility that the Justices will hold that there is
no substantial burden because Hobby Lobby can simply drop its health
care plan . . . Dan Conkle is right that Paul Clement asked for an
opportunity for a trial on that question.  I have argued that we
neednt even get there, because the plaintiffs have failed to satisfy
the requirement of even pleading facts that would, if proved,
demonstrate that that option would impose substantial pressure on them
to offer contraceptive coverage:

http://balkin.blogspot.com/2014/02/hobby-lobby-part-ix-there-is-no.html
[7].  Of course, these or other plaintiffs might file new complaints
that satisfy Iqbal/Trombly, in which case there would, indeed, need to
be trials on the question.  I am skeptical that most employers will
be able to prove the requisite degree of pressure -- see

http://balkin.blogspot.com/2013/12/hobby-lobby-part-iii-adoes-federal-law.html
[8] -- but perhaps some would.  The whole point of my posts on this
question has been that its a highly fact-intensive question that
should be adjudicated case-by-case.

3.  I forgot to mention in my original post one other thing that
struck me during the argument:  Justice Kagan described the
Sherbert/Yoder _practice_ of the Court as being a form of balancing,
involving not only the nature and degree of burden on the plaintiff
and the governments interest, but also the impact on third parties.
Of course, as most of you know, shes absolutely right -- this is in
fact _exactly_ what the Court was doing in cases from _Braunfeld_ to
_Jimmy Swaggart_, even while it was (disingenuously) mouthing the
language of strict scrutiny.  (The only case Im aware of in which the
Court was honest about its balancing was Warrens plurality opinion in
_Braunfeld_.)  This led me to think, once again, that perhaps Chip
was right way back in 1993 -- it would have been much better for
Congress to have used the language of balancing, or some form of
intermediate scrutiny, in RFRA, if its aim was to recreate the FEC
doctrine of the preceding generation.  A lesson for state
legislatures and mini-RFRAs going forward?

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:46 PM, Alan Brownstein