Dear colleagues,

I thought that Prof. Marc DeGirolami (St. John's) made a number of interesting
and helpful observations - which suggest that at least some matters might have
been clarified a bit -- about Justice Kennedy's opinion in this post ("The
Jurisprudence of Tradition"):
http://mirrorofjustice.blogs.com/mirrorofjustice/2014/05/the-jurisprudence-of-tradition-10-points-on-justice-kennedys-opinion-in-town-of-greece.html
  Here are two of his "10 points":

1. By far the most prominent theme in Justice Kennedy's opinion is the role of
tradition and historical practice in validating the practice of legislative
prayer. That point is repeated no less than six or seven times in all kinds of
contexts. The practice is "part of our expressive idiom" and our "heritage."
Justice Kennedy writes that "Marsh is sometimes described as "carving out an
exception" to the Court's Establishment Clause's jurisprudence," inasmuch as no
"tests" were applied in Marsh, but in reality, "[t]he Court in Marsh found
those tests unnecessary because history supported the conclusion that
legislative invocations are compatible with the Establishment Clause" That's
important. It indicates that the mode of analysis in Marsh was not a carve-out,
so much as the place where all Establishment Clause analysis begins, and, under
certain circumstances, where it ends.

2. Note the emphasis on both history and particularism in the following: "Marsh
stands for the proposition that it is not necessary to define the precise
boundary of the Establishment Clause where history shows that the specific
practice is permitted....A test that would sweep away what has so long been
settled would create new controversy and begin anew the very divisions along
religious lines that the Establishment Clause seeks to prevent." Very
interesting. The claim seems to be that it is the rigidity of the tests
themselves in this area, and their failure to grant a kind of presumptive
validity to entrenched social practices and traditions, which itself generates
religious division.

Best,

Rick

Richard W. Garnett
Professor of Law and Concurrent Professor of Political Science
Notre Dame Law School
P.O. Box 780
Notre Dame, Indiana 46556-0780
574-631-6981 (w)
574-276-2252 (cell)
rgarn...@nd.edu<mailto:rgarn...@nd.edu>

To download my scholarly papers, please visit my SSRN
page<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=342235>